5 Things Found In Kansas City During the Holidays

Kansas City has all you need...so let the festivities begin.

20
Royal Door

If you’re from Kansas City or the surrounding northland than you know that there are some pretty impressive holiday traditions to partake in.

1. Downtown

First things first you have to visit the downtown area, they have the Christmas decorations done to the nines and a lighting ceremony on Thanksgiving night. The lights stretch for miles covering the rooftops of restaurants and outlet stores bringing with them the festive spirit of the KC area.

2. Union Station

Next head over to Union Station and check out all the exhibits. Union Station is filled with toy trains, a train the kids can ride, sleigh ride pictures, a movie theater and of course a giant Christmas tree, wreaths, and other beautiful decorations. Also, you can find a delicious meal at Harvey’s or Pierpont’s while you wait for your train, whether that be a fake one or the real deal.

3. Crown Center

The downtown area also has an ice rink in Crown Center, which is open from November clear till mid-March. Everyone loves to visit the painted penguin on the ice every year, the rink is even open on Thanksgiving day, Christmas Eve and New Year’s. Once you tire of going around the rink head across the street to eat, past the fountains through the lobby you’ll find plenty of options, up to 50 places to chow down. Chose from Fritz’s, where food gets delivered to the table by train, the Crayola Cafe, D’Bronx, SPIN! Neapolitan Pizza, Sheridan’s Frozen Custard, Streetcar Named Desire and much more. Crown Center is also home to Hallmark Cards and a theatre. As far as holiday events go this is the place to take the kids, Crown Center has Santa’s Gingerbread Village.

4. Power and Light District

KC Power & Light transforms The City Market into Whoville Holidays and hosts the Grinch and Cindy Lou Who. Another festive block of the city is the Power & Light district, normally packed with concert goers, ball game fans, or those out bar hopping is taken over by the mind of Dr. Seuss himself for the holiday season.

5.Zona Rosa

Now if you’re north of the city and want to find someplace a bit less crowded than the Plaza to do your Christmas shopping head over to Zona Rosa on Barry Road. Zona has decor just as festive and plenty of shops and restaurants. From Italian, to steak houses, to pretzel places. Zona is brimming with deliciousness and everywhere you turn are beautiful multi-colored lights and crowns hung at intersections. The tree can be found right in the middle of it all, reaching for the sky and wrapped in ribbon and lights. Don’t miss out on the main event either. Take the whole family to meet Mr. & Mrs. Claus on December 2nd decked out for a PJ Party with giveaways of cookies and milk.

While all of these might seem like childish events everyone has an inner child and the holidays are the best time to embrace that part of yourself.