5 things I miss about my hometown
Education

5 things I miss about my hometown

I never thought I would be writing this article, but I am.

62

Knowing the roads like the back of my hand

I love going for drives, and just listening to music. I have a couple pretty specific routes that I drive too, and I always know where I am which is extremely comforting. Even when I just drive and momentarily don't know where I am, I can always find a familiar spot. I hate small towns, and the big city has always been my dream, but there is nothing like the small town feel. Since I've been in Milwaukee, I have been lost almost everyday which is in part hilarious, but also not anything I am used to, and also it sucks when a target trip turns into a three hour adventure because you get on the wrong bus.

The people

There is a lot of people in my hometown that I I am happy to leave, specifically the one who are toxic and boring. But there are so many great people here who I do love and care about. I have missed these people everyday since I left, and it's not getting any easier. This has definitely been the hardest part of leaving, but also I think that I am pretty lucky to have so many people who are worth missing.

My church

I've grown up in the same church since I was born. I know everyone, and everyone knows me. It's the place where I feel most at home. Although I'll be joining Christian ministry around campus, nothing will ever compare to my hometown church and the people there.

My dogs

I love my dogs a lot, and I miss them more and more everyday. Seeing dogs around campus is really hard, but I know that when I see my dogs again it's going to be that much better. I also hope they aren't too sad without me.

My 'traditional spots'

I am a big believer in consistency. I have my Starbucks that I choose over the other one, and I know all the barista. I also loved going to this park way out in the middle of nowhere, and just hanging out. I love my typical hang out spots with my friends (aka the high school parking lot.) I love feeling like I belong in these places. The big city is absolutely amazing, but I can't help but feel like it's too big for me and like I am in a foreign place. Also, I would do anything for an angry elephant from Briqs and a slice of Mac and cheese pizza from politos right now.

College is a whole new adventure, where I am being forced to start over. Anybody who knows me knows that I am not good with change. I am excited for the new adventure, but leaving my comfort zone is something that I am not completely ready for. Deep down, I know that it is how I am going to grow into the person I want to be. My hometown is something that I thought I hated, but in reality I don't hate it, I just hated parts of it. Truthfully, I am so much happier away from it and the parts I miss are something that I know I'll get over, especially when I am so much in love with the city I live in now.