5 things I learned freshman year at Mississippi State

1. Go to class.

This one has to be the most important thing I learned this past year. Going to class is so rewarding in several different ways. Besides the obvious reason of you actually learning the information you are supposed too. It looks really good on scholarship, job and student organization applications. Showing that you truly care about your education is so important. Even on the days where it is super hard to get out of bed for that 8 am., find the motivation to do it because I promise you, you will not regret it.

2. Walking to class is actually very fun.

This is something that I have learned here recently due to the effects of COVID-19. I can remember so many days when walking to class was the last thing I wanted to do. Especially when all it did was rain in Starkville for a month. Now that I am home and the walk to class is from my bed to my desk, I realize how much I took that for granted. Walking to class is so beneficial because it gets you outside and gets you moving. I would give anything right now to take a walk across campus especially when you have a campus as beautiful as Mississippi State.

3. Take advantage of the gym on campus.

The Sanderson Center is the campus gym at MSU and it is probably one of my favorite places on campus. The reason I say take advantage of it is because it is free and easily accessible. Being stuck in quarantine has me missing it so much right now. There are so many workout classes to take that fit to the needs and wants of everyone. They are also offered several times a day so you can fit them in with your class schedule. My personal favorite was the spin class. There is a very nice weight room if you want to do stuff on your own, and there is also a great sized recreational gym if you want to get active with some friends. The Sanderson has so much to offer and I highly recommend taking advantage of it.

4. Get out of your dorm room to study.

One of the nice things about college campuses is that there are so many places to go study. The obvious ones are the library or other academic buildings. However there are some other ones are great as well. Some of my personal favorites are the study rooms in the dorms, local coffee shops, or if you are apart of a Greek organization, go study in quiet places at the house. I found that I was much more productive when I was not in my bed trying to study. Also, change your scenery often. I was constantly moving around studying in different places.

5. Templeton is the best dining facility.

Unlike the others, this one is specific to Mississippi State alone. Templeton is the athletic dining facility in between the Dude and the pond on the north side of campus. When I tell you it is the best food I have had on campus, it really is. There are so many options to choose from. Also my all time favorite aspect of it is that it is healthy. One of my goals in college was to try to find healthier options and make smart decisions when it came to food on campus. Templeton helped tremendously with that. If you are a student at MSU, and you have not tried Templeton yet, I promise you it is so worth it.