5 Things For St. Patrick's Day

5 Things For St. Patrick's Day

Don't get pinched.

56
5 Things For St. Patrick's Day

The tradition of celebrating St. Patrick's Day in the United States began in New York in 1762 with a parade. The holiday which takes place on March 17 is to commemorate St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, on the day he died in 461 AD. The United States has taken this tradition with gusto and marked it with an explosion of green, beer, and all things Irish. It is celebrated by the Irish and the Irish at heart! Here are some great ways to get in the St. Patrick's Day spirit!

1. Shamrock Shake

These can pretty much speak for themselves but if you've never tried a Shamrock Shake from McDonalds, you are missing out. Why are you still sitting down? Go get one!

2. Listen to Authentic Irish Music

It doesn't get much more legit than the Ireland sports anthem. This song is a beautiful tribute to a beautiful country!

3. Cook a Traditional Irish Meal

Whether it's a corn beef, bangers and mash, or blood pudding, eating authentic Ireland cuisine is a St. Patrick's Day celebration staple. And a delicious one too!

4. Attend a Parade

Most communities host a parade featuring local Irish dancers, bagpipers, leprechauns, and all things green! Check out your newspaper or online to find one near you.

5. Deck out in Green

Other than to avoid the tradition of getting pinched for not wearing green, deck out in all things green and shamrock so you can join the festivities!