5 Things To Do When You're Feeling Lost In The Throes Of Life
Mental Health

Everyone gets a little disheveled at times, sometimes the smallest acts of self-care can make a big difference.

60

It can come out of nowhere, the panic, the anxiety, the confusion. When you feel like you are out of place, it's uncomfortable, and quite frankly, it sucks. Although you're extremely overwhelmed, there are a few different things you can try to calm yourself down.

Talk to someone about what you're going through and how you're feeling.

This may be the easiest thing to do for some, and the hardest to do for others. Really, the first step is admitting that you are lost and you don't know what to do. Once you can say that out loud, then the rest will come easy. Don't believe me? 9/10 times the first question your confidant will ask is, "Why are you feeling lost?" From there, a little therapy session can commence.

Listen to music to get your mind out of the space it's in. 

Not really feeling like talking to anyone right now? Just want to be in your own headspace? Listen to some music, everyone loves music, find something that really speaks to you or even something that just makes you want to dance. Turning on some tunes will lift your panic and let you breathe.

Write so you can visualize what's on your mind.

Journaling is one of the best tips I can recommend to anyone, and not just because I'm a writer. Writing is one of the best ways to self-reflect and just get it all out. Don't feel like talking to anyone? Let your pen do the talking, then. You can either share what you have come up with or keep it completely private, it's all up to you.

Go for a drive and discover something new.

A lot of people really underestimate the power of a car and the road ahead. Take a solo cruise, roll the windows down, maybe turn on the tunes and just take a breather. You'd be surprised at how much weight fresh air can take off your shoulders.

Go out to eat, because being hangry won't solve anything. 

OK, you can never go wrong with food, the cure to all. Go to your favorite restaurant and fill up before you try to sort through why you feel so misplaced in life. Food will calm you down and give you the opportunity to just sit and think.

Most importantly, take a step back and breathe. Remind yourself that everything is going to be okay and let yourself realize that once you work through your emotions, you will be feeling good again in no time. Everyone feels a little lost at times, you aren't the only one ... keep your head up!