5 Theme Ideas For Season Six Of 'American Horror Story'

And how each one will be unlike anything we've seen on the show.

241

Season six of "American Horror Story" is coming up soon, but we know almost nothing about it besides the logo and the returning cast members. Though the series has a decline in quality over the years, I will still be returning to watch it when it hits the air, hoping it will improve upon its mistakes. Despite this decrease in value, part of the appeal that draws in fans of AHS is the new themes and characters introduced each season. Every new segment has a brand new theme, and fans everywhere are thinking critically about what we could see from the show when it hits this fall. Though we don't know when it will be announced, I still have some ideas as to what kind of story the show could develop well, and keep audiences intrigued. Even if it's not this season, maybe someday we will see some of these ideas on the screen!

1. The Civil War

The Civil War was one of the most ghastly periods in American history. So many people lost their lives in the bloodiest ways imaginable, and the location of the Battle of Gettysburg is said to be one of the most haunted places in America. The horror and culture of the Civil War would be a great setting for "American Horror Story" due to the toll it took on the United States; the myths and legends surrounding it; and the amount of people who were involved, leaving the opportunity for a large cast to do their thing. Make it happen, Ryan Murphy!

2. A Haunted Theater

Theaters are some of the oldest, most beautiful buildings in America — and some of the most haunted. In the theater world, it is said that every theater has a ghost, and many theaters have nooks and crannies that are unexplored by the everyday patron. The theme could be set in two time periods: today and during the golden age of theater to see how events that transpired in the past are affecting the present. It could definitely have a few nods to "Phantom of the Opera," which is the hallmark of haunted theater stories. No matter how it's sliced, a beautiful old auditorium could definitely set the stage for a great "American Horror Story"theme.

3. The Old West

The Gold Rush, old ghost towns, trains coming and going and romances on the ranch. The idea of a bustling town holding dark secrets in the peak of the days of the old west is absolutely perfect for "American Horror Story." We could see the deterioration of the town as time goes by, see the story of an outlaw who haunts its residents and we could play with the notions of treasure and mystery that drew so many pioneers out there in the first place. Plus, trains are some of the ideal locations for hauntings and intrigue, and there could be an arc about people traveling on a steam engine. It would work wonders!

4. The American Revolution

The colonial days are filled with ghost stories that continue to haunt America. Public executions, the bloodshed of the Revolutionary War and the general fear that was instilled during British rule would be a great setting. The idea could center around a town right in the middle of the war that is being haunted by the ghost of a loyalist criminal. Simultaneously, there could be a witch whose grandmother escaped Salem and constantly lives in fear of her powers and the effects they could have. Maybe a military fort could be there as well, filled with soldiers haunted by ghosts of their peers. Again, there could be two time periods, and a present day era of the old town could feel the hauntings of the revolution still plaguing the residents. There are many general ideas and themes of the colonial era that could translate to an awesomeseason!

5. Edgar Allan Poe

Poe has written some of the most grisly and beloved stories in American literature. Each episode of his season could be a 40-minute visual adaptation of his work, from "The Tell-Tale Heart" to "The Black Cat." The cast could play a different character in each episode, and maybe Evan Peters could play Mr. Poe writing his stories until his death. Because simply put, Poe and his work are the original American horror stories, and the showcould pay a great homage to America's most haunted writer.

Who knows when the "American Horror Story" theme will be announced? Besides Ryan Murphy, of course. As fans gather in anticipation for the next installment, I hope to see some of these ideas someday reaching my television screen. Until then, I wait with baited breath.