5 TED Talks Worth Binge Watching

5 TED Talks Worth Binge Watching

These “ideas worth sharing” might just change your perspective.

23
5 TED Talks Worth Binge Watching
therecklessoptimist.com

TED is a nonprofit that began in 1984 and continues to change the perspectives of millions of people every day. These talks range from new scientific discoveries to every day advice to powerful tales of personal growth and change. They’re used in classroom curriculums and are equally accessible online. It’s no secret that TED talks are some of the most profound and passionate speeches and cover all range of topics. So if you’re in a creative slump, just recently experienced a rejection, or simply want to take a break from your endlessly busy life, here are five TED talks that are worth watching.

1. "The Power of Introverts" - Susan Cain

Susan Cain tells a powerful story about her experience as an introverted child and being misunderstood as troubled or antisocial. Her experience is a testament to what it means to be yourself and understand that being who you are is the best person you can possibly be.

2. "The Museum of Four in the Morning" - Rives

This is one of the most interesting stories. Rives tells his tale about an unusual obsession with the time 4 a.m. and how a small coincidence can come full circle. Both funny and heartwarming, his story also demonstrates the impact that people coming together can have. Visit Rives’s museum here.

3. "Teach girls bravery, not perfection" - Reshma Saujani

Recommended to me by one of my best friends, Reshma Saujani argues a shift in culture of high expectation in favor of one where children, girls especially, are taught to embrace their imperfection from an early age. Saujani brings up an issue that is hard to see until it’s pointed out. But she highlights the consequences of expecting perfection. If you’re interested in reading more, check out this response about how gender double standards affect women in humanities as well!

4. "Success, failure and the drive to keep creating" - Elizabeth Gilbert

This talk is really uplifting as Elizabeth Gilbert encourages people to chase their dreams and never ever give up on what they love. The pressure to find work that pays often overshadows finding a job that you love, especially within my generation. I see it every day, from my classmate from high school who chose economics over music to my neighbors who forgo a humanities degree in favor of something “practical.”

5. "To This Day...for the bullied and beautiful" - Shane Koyczan

If you take nothing else from this article, take only this. This TED talk is incredibly funny and hauntingly beautiful. Shane Koyczan’s poignant spoken-word poem is raw and flawless. Warning: this may make you cry. It definitely made me cry.