5 Bizarro Beauty Practices You Probably Haven't Heard Of

I think waxing is as exotic as I'm willing to go.

141

There's a lot to be said for the beauty industry and the lengths that people will go to achieve a certain degree of perfection. Botox, liposuction, waxing, electrolysis, tummy tuck and the like are all terms you're probably familiar with and maybe have even tried yourself. But in the world of beauty, standards are constantly changing and practices always evolving to bring clients the latest and greatest options. Here are five bizarre beauty practices you probably haven't heard of but may be curious to try.

1. 24 Karat Gold Facial

If you enjoy spoiling yourself, what's better than a facial containing actual GOLD? Higher-end salons are now offering this service, which consists of a mask containing flakes of gold that is applied to the face for anywhere between $300 to $1000.

Proponents of the mask claim it can help improve skin tone, combat wrinkles, fight acne, improve skin elasticity and more. While the thought of gold on my face sounds pretty cool, that hefty price tag brings me back to reality. I'll stick with my Clean and Clear face wash.

2. Vaginal Steaming

Also known as Yoni steaming, Gwyneth Paltrow made waves a few years ago when she said she was a huge fan of the 'uterus-revitalizing' practice; to put it simply, it's kind of a tea for your V. Women take a variety of different herbs (different ones for whatever ailment or discomfort you're trying to alleviate), add it to a basin of hot water, and keep their bare bottom above the basin for 20 or 30 minutes.

People who practice Yoni steaming say it helps relieve everything from menstrual cramps to treating uterine fibroids. This one definitely isn't my cup of tea (HA! Pun intended), but if you're in pain and out of options, it can't hurt to try.

3. Leech Therapy

I don't know about you, but bugs, snakes, and anything that is considered a creepy crawly -- yes, that includes leeches -- freaks me out. However, many people swear by leech therapy, where live leeches are placed on the body and suck your blood.

Fans of the practice say it's a detoxifying treatment that removes toxins from the blood, but I'm more inclined to stay away from things that want to suck my blood, no matter the benefits. If leech therapy sounds like something you might want to try, ask Demi Moore for a recommendation; the actress allegedly went to Europe specifically to try the procedure. Pass!

4. Fish Pedicures

If you have a lot of dead skin on your feet and nothing seems to be working, apparently fish pedicures are a thing. These pedicures include the use of Garra rufa or 'doctor fish' to nibble at and remove dead skin on the feet.

Personally, I think I would be a little squeamish with a bunch of little fish nibbling at my feet during something that's supposed to be relaxing, but salons now offer this as an exotic treatment for clients.

5. Bird Poop Facials

This one is extremely bizarre and beyond gross. If you need it spelled out for you, bird excrement is mixed with a variety of other ingredients and applied to the face. Afterward, the skin is supposed to be clearer and feel smoother, but let's not forget you just had BIRD POOP ON YOUR FACE.

I don't care if my face is as smooth as the day I was born after this treatment, I have no interest in smearing bird poop all over my face. I'll leave this one for David and Victoria Beckham who are allegedly big fans of this facial.

Keep in mind that many of these treatments are very expensive -- without the added benefit of being proven to work. Some, such as the fish pedicures, are even being investigated for spreading disease. If you DO decide to try one of the aforementioned procedures, proceed with caution and always consult a doctor.

Because really, how safe can bird poop on your face be?