The 5 Stages Of Grief: Netflix Edition

The 5 Stages Of Grief: Netflix Edition

What better way to spend time off from school than a Netflix binge?

26
The 5 Stages Of Grief: Netflix Edition
Anita Kotowicz

Winter Break: The time you get to spend with your family and friends whom you have not seen in months. It's also when you catch up on all your television series on Netflix, some of which you're bound to finish.

1. Denial.

It's 1 a.m., and you're snuggled up with a variety of snacks and a blanket. You've just spent several hours in a row binge watching your new favorite TV show. You're down to the last episode, but instead of going to sleep, you decide to watch it. Sadly, when you wake up the next morning, there are no more episodes left to watch. You're shocked, numb and completely in disbelief. You begin counting the number of episodes compared to how long you've been watching it, wondering how you finished the show that quickly. Your mind becomes overwhelmed and you deny ever finishing the show, continuously telling yourself that a new season will soon be added.

2. Anger.

You look online to see if the number of seasons in the show matches up with the number of seasons available on Netflix. They match up. The show ended and no more new seasons are being made. You start to get angry at yourself for finishing it that quickly instead of spacing it out and savoring every episode more. You begin blaming others around you for getting you obsessed with the TV show. No longer do you have something to look forward to when there is nothing to do. What are you supposed to watch now instead of the actual productive things you are supposed to get done?!

3. Bargaining.

Now that you've stopped denying the fact that you've completed the TV show and have created unnecessary tension and anger between you and your friends, you start bargaining. You feel guilty for finishing the show and this is where the "If only.." statements come flying into your head. If only I watched something else at the same time... If only I didn't watch that first episode... If only I was actually productive... OK, maybe not that last one. You may even begin begging Netflix to miraculously add another season or maybe just one more episode. You need a chance to say your goodbyes.

4. Depression.

Eventually grief will enter on a deeper level, bringing with it intense feelings of sadness. You refuse to eat, get out of bed or watch any more Netflix. Your life feels empty. Tears start streaming down your cheeks and your chest begins to ache with heartbreak. You spent a greater part of the past few days or weeks (it may have even been months) watching the TV show, falling for the characters and getting emotionally and mentally involved with the show. It was all you thought and talked about with your friends and family. Now that it's over, you feel as though someone or even a part of you has died.

5. Acceptance.

The loss will forever be a part of you, though you will feel it more on some days compared to others. However, acceptance doesn't mean that you're happy that the TV show is over and that you have finished it all. Acceptance means that you have accepted the fact that it is over and that you can now move on to other shows. The TV show will forever have a special place in your heart and the love that you had for the characters will never truly fade away. You feel at ease with the fact that this phase of your relationship with Netflix and its shows is over. Now you can start that show your friends have been talking about or something that Netflix has recommended especially for you.

No matter what it is you choose to do, fellow Netflix enthusiast, don't forget to rate what you've just watched. How else will Netflix know what is worth your precious time? Happy binge watching!