5 Song Lyrics That Provoke Deeper Meaning

Songs have the power to illicit different feelings and thoughts within our minds. Here are a few examples.

6686
Humane Pursuits

As we all know, listening to music provokes many emotions, thoughts, and memories that we would sometimes not generally manifest, willingly, in our lives. This being said, music is a world wide anthem that serves as the ambassador to what we are really feeling inside, despite what our outward appearance may say otherwise. The following list contains five song lyrics, when listened to, that can provoke the previously mentioned types of thoughts and emotions.

1. Chance the Rapper's "Same Drugs"

Although this songs name is "Same Drugs," the song is in no way actually about the recreational use of illegal substances in your everyday life and simply moving from one type of drug to the next.

The lines:

"Wide eyed kids being kids
Why did you stop?
What did you do to your hair?
Where did you go to end up right back here?
When did you start to forget how to fly?"

An easy way to depict that the deeper meaning behind the song is how people change throughout their lives, and for the reasons unknown. This being said, it is noted that you can begin to see the changes in someone you once cared deeply for, and the way they are beginning to lose the essence that you once knew made them.

2. Twenty One Pilots' "Ride"

The song that took off this last summer is another on the list that makes you think about your relationships with the people you surround yourself with in your life.

The lyrics:

"All these questions they're for real
Like 'Who would you live for?',
'Who would you die for?'
And 'Would you ever kill?'"

prompt the idea of basically asking yourself "Who in my life is this important to me?", and can leave you questioning that you adventure through your life meeting new people and experiencing different things.

3. Nahko and Medicine for the People's "Risk It"

This folk song by Nahko and Medicine for the People tells the story of a man whose spiritual being searched within nature and guidance in order to be healed from the effects that life has cast upon it.

The lyrics:

"Well I dreamed of my future big time, yeah
What it would be like to always have clean water
And if we left the trees standing
And they filtered the air and we breathed it in deeply
So I traveled across Native America
I saw the sickness taking form in all its small children
Well if I could give to my people, yeah
Well a piece of my peace will be with you always"

show the understanding of how the man has realized the impurities in the world and how the things that some already have are ideals for others. It can prompt the idea of not taking little things, like having clean water, for granted because not everyone in this world has the access to such virtues.

4. Adele's "Send My Love (To Your New Lover)"

From Adele's recent album, "25," we have been introduced to a more casual send off to a former lover than that of "Someone Like You" or "Set Fire to the Rain." This song, although the lyrics may seem "petty," in regards to telling someone you loved to treat their new lover better is more of a professional and mature way to say goodbye to someone.

The lyrics:

"Send my love to your new lover
Treat her better
We've gotta let go of all of our ghosts
We both know we ain't kids no more"

give way to the fact that even though you can be upset for the loss of a love that once existed, you can be civil in hopes that your old flame is able to treat someone else better, as you know that the feeling of drifting apart is something that no one would want to go through.

5. Kelly Clarkson's "Piece by Piece"

As seen live on the final season of "American Idol," the depth of emotion that resonates from this song by Clarkson is one that can hit the hearts of anyone who grew up without having a father figure in their lives.

The lyrics:

"He'll never walk away,
He'll never break her heart
He'll take care of things,
He'll love her
And piece by piece he'll restore my faith
That a man can be kind and a father should be great."

serve to give meaning to the idea that even growing up without that father figure in your life that your own child, that you may have one day, does not have to go through the same upbringing just because you did.