5 Simple Ways to Stand in Solidarity

5 Simple Ways to Stand in Solidarity

Make the world a lovelier place

1570
5 Simple Ways to Stand in Solidarity

With all the hate, terror, and hurt happening around the world, people need to spread love and kindness now more than ever. Here's how we, the more fortunate can help the oppressed..

1. Advocate

Let your community know what is needed by people who feel it is dangerous or frightening to open up. If you know a disabled person, advocate for their easy access to places in the community and for inclusion. If you know of someone who's particular background is seemingiy ignored in your area, advocate for representation.

2. Give

I know money doesn't grow on trees, so I'm not saying this with only donations to charities in mind, but if you are able, this is a great place to start. Donate things that you don't use anymore, you never know what someone desperately needs. Share a meal with someone on a bad day. But, the most important thing you can give to someone struggling is a listening ear.

3. Learn

People like to say they're familiar with many backgrounds, and maybe they are, but how can we as a nation say we know about the struggles our peers are facing if we don't take any time to learn about them. Talk to people from backgrounds you aren't familiar with, read about their history, and take interest. Few things are as powerful as education.

4. Speak up

In today's busy world, too many people see mistreatment and injustice happening and don't talk about it. How can changes be made is no one is being made aware of the hate and mistreatment around them. If someone on the outside of the issue speaks up with courage it can be the catalyst for change, for making injustice smaller one voice at a time.

5. Be Kind.

This one is very simple. When you see someone having a bad day, remember how nice it makes you feel when someone treated you kindly. People should strive to make kindness their default way to treat others. Now, this doesn't mean we have to sugar coat and agree with every difference of opinion. Just don't let anger and hate fuel response. Take the high road and practice kindness always.

Just spread love.