5 Signs Your Winter Break Has Been Too Long

College student vs. retired grandparent?

49

Oh, how this winter break has been so grand. You’ve had the time to do whatever your heart desired and not had to worry about finishing assignments or getting to class on time. Yet, if you go to a school that has an extra-long break and the majority of your friends are already back at their colleges, then your life has been reduced to a magnificent and splendid zero. Here are some signs that your stay at home has been more than you bargained for.

1. You get excited for Jeopardy.

Yes. This show predominately targets the older crowd, but if you’ve been home with nothing to do for weeks, you find yourself completely entertained with this half-hour long program. In fact, you have it recorded every night just in case you’re not home to see it. But c’mon, what are the odds of that actually happening?

2. You fall asleep before midnight.

When you get to the point where there’s only so much Netflix you can watch in a night and the food in the pantry is not prime, going to bed early is a quality alternative. What else is there to do on a cold, late night with no excitement? Plus, that Jeopardy-watching really tired you out.

3. Grocery shopping becomes the highlight of your day.

Did you say driving? In a car? Leaving the house? Hell to the yes please. The grocery store is a perfect place to pass time and to buy the food that you will soon be stuffing your face with. Although the produce and ice cream sections can be slightly chilly, it is most definitely better than sitting at home staring at the wall.

4. You voluntarily do your laundry.

At the beginning of your break, you let your mom come into your room while you’re snoozing in the late morning to grab your dirty clothes piled on the floor. But, as time continues on and the calendar seems to be paused at January 5th, you are surely eager to clean your own clothes. Nothing sounds more exciting than that, am I right? Maybe if you’re feeling thoughtful, you’ll do some of your parent’s clothes too.

5. You are exhausted from doing nothing.

If you find yourself yawning throughout the day while sitting on the couch watching Keeping Up with the Kardashians reruns, this sign certainly screams your name. Seriously, why else would you be yawning if you’ve been a couch potato for the past three weeks? Doing nothing obviously makes college students the most lazy and unmotivated creatures on Earth, but we definitely long for this during finals.

There are many more indicators that you’re slowly becoming a retired 70 year old from your long stay at home during winter break. But, until that long awaited day of returning to school arrives, you will continue to bask in your humdrum routine of simplicity. This lengthy time off is a much-needed break from the fast-paced and stressful collegiate lifestyle that will return to all of us in the blink of an eye.