5 Signs You Go To Margate In The Summer

5 Signs You Go To Margate In The Summer

Everyone's favorite beach.

293
5 Signs You Go To Margate In The Summer
Alex Newman

If you are from Pennsylvania or New Jersey, you can most likely find yourself wandering the beaches of Margate, Longport or Ventnor come the end of May. Memorial Day Weekend initiates the start of summer in these beach towns, and you can find the beaches SWAMPED with people. These quaint beach towns, specifically Margate, have many distinguishing factors. Those who are frequent summer residents can easily identify aspects of Margate City, New Jersey.

1. Lucy the Elephant

As you drive into Margate, you can see a huge elephant with a canopy on top. This elephant is the symbol of Margate. As a child, I can distinctly remember my family going on tours of the elephant and climbing the numerous stairs that lead to the canopy. This “roof-top” canopy allows a viewer to overlook almost all of Margate. Of course, no tour of Lucy was complete without the purchase of an elephant stuffed-animal.

2. Two Cents Plain and Dairy Bar

When in need of ice cream in Margate, there are two places that residents go to: Two Cents Plain and Dairy Bar. It is common to see the lines to both of these places wrapped around the block. Nothing screams summertime in Margate more than waffles and ice cream from Two Cents Plain or custard from Dairy Bar. With the addition of the Burger Bar on the side of Dairy Bar, a new staple of summer has become their hamburgers.

3. Junior’s Donuts

If people prefer Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme, they have clearly never been to Junior’s Donuts. By noon on a busy weekend, Junior’s can sell out of donuts. Their white powdered vanilla crème donut is TO DIE FOR. Located right on the bay, Junior’s Donuts can be crowded late at night for a great dessert.

4. WAWA

Anybody who is anybody in Margate knows where the WAWA is located. Whether it is in the morning for coffee/sandwich runs or at night for late-night snacks, the WAWA is always crowded. Before all of the camp attendees leave for the summer, the WAWA is packed at night. It has even been called “Club WAWA” on the peak of Memorial Day Weekend. The street corner is the place to be for any 13-15 year old. It becomes so crowded that cars cannot even find places to park. The local police circle WAWA on the weekends attempting to clear the crowds and send kids home who are not following the town curfew.

5. Ventnor Avenue

When looking for a quick bite to eat, clothes or goods, Ventnor Avenue is the place to meet all of your needs. The avenue stretches for miles and has many great stores and restaurants. During the day, it is common to find people in California Frozen Yogurt for acai bowls or Jalapeños for tacos and salads. At nighttime, it is common to find the avenue filled with people as they wait outside Two Cents Plain, Shuckers and shop for toys in stores like Jamaican Me Crazy. Ultimately, anything you could possibly need is located on Ventnor Avenue.