5 Signs That You Are An Italian

5 Signs That You Are An Italian

*Does not include putting a mustache on and saying "Mamma Mia!"

269
5 Signs That You Are An Italian
picdn.net

From food, family, and fun, the Italians are all about it. We know how to cook big meals and how to enjoy a proper plate of lasagna. We are loud, hectic, and full of surprises. Forget hosting a party in a library, because we'd be kicked out before the appetizers started rolling in. But what makes someone an Italian? Besides genetics, there are other qualifiers that could label someone as the Italian type.

1. Food

There is no such thing as "have a little." You want a small plate of assorted meats? No, you don't. You want the whole platter -- trust me, it's good for you. Meals do not involve an entree followed by an occasional dessert. For Italians, there is the pre-appetizer, the appetizer, the post-appetizer, the entree, the snack break, another entree, and then desserts. If there's one thing Italians love, it's eating. It's one of the best ways to spend quality time: chowing down on mozzarella and garlic bread.

2. Talking with your hands

Might as well include Italian into the American Sign Language. A good sign of an Italian is if they talk with their hands -- it's impossible for them to speak without doing so. No matter what they're talking about, an Italian will include vivid hand movements to illustrate what they're talking about. Does it help visualize the topic? Probably not, but it's worth sitting back and enjoying the interpretive dance show.

3. Talking loudly

Forget indoor voices, there are only outdoor voices. You can tell that an Italian has entered the room because you'll hear them from the parking lot. We are loud and we are proud of it. Don't try to tell an Italian to hush, because it'll only result in a confused look and a continuation in the speaking volume. The lowest setting for an Italian's speaking volume is: Mamma Mia! We won't think that we're loud, because we don't hear ourselves think due to how loudly we're talking.

4. Chaos

Due to the large family sizes, family gatherings can resemble a re-creation of Jurassic Park. Kids are running in every direction, and a child is somehow on top of the bookshelves. Along with that, ovens, microwaves, and stoves are beeping because we are trying to cook an elaborate meal. On top of that, everyone's yelling and talking over each other because we're trying to communicate throughout this scene of sheer chaos. Forget what conversation you were involved with because now you're taking part in all of the conversations.

5. Family accents

If you're an Italian, it's a guarantee that someone in the family owns a northern accent. Whether they're from Brooklyn, New Jersey, or New York City, there's a thick northern accent in their voice. Keep an eye out for the accent because it's a dead giveaway. Watch for keywords: "water" becomes "wau-der," "huge" becomes "yooge," and instead of "call" it's "caul."

The Italians are a distinct group of people. They are easily noticeable and can stand out of a crowd easily -- that may be due to the loudness. But Italians do know one thing, and that is family comes first above everything else. Family gatherings are memorable, despite the smoke detector going off and having the lasagna burnt, and the wine being spilled, and running out of pastrami. Besides of all that, the Italians can be a fun, but hectic, bunch of people who know how to cook and have a great time.