5 Shows that Shaped Adult Swim

5 Shows that Shaped Adult Swim

Few networks can boast a lineup as experimental as the 15-year-old cable block.

42
5 Shows that Shaped Adult Swim
Breanna Nawrocki

Perhaps no cable network has been able to speak and market to millennials more effectively than "Adult Swim." What at first started out as a late night entertainment block for micro-budget cartoons and adult-oriented anime has turned into a media empire that can take credit for putting some of the most experimental content on television airwaves. Now celebrating its 15th anniversary, the time has come to look back on the history of "Adult Swim" and highlight some of the most celebrated animated shows from its library.

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" (and various other names)

Proving to be a test in the longevity of a brain-dead concept, "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" became one of the most unlikely lucrative animated tv shows ever. This distant spin-off of its big-sister show, "Space Ghost Coast to Coast" started life as a riff on the "mystery team" cartoon but it didn't take too long for it to metamorphosis into the most random and irreverent show on television. The aforementioned team of Master Shake, Frylock, and Meatwad have become millennial cult icons providing a distinctive mindless escapism to those who find themselves up after midnight due to late work or other reasons. Whether it was an episode involving a perverted genetically engineered dog named "hand banana" or a shaved Wookie with an identity crisis, "ATHF" managed to squeeze out enough "high" concepts (pun intended) for 11 seasons on-air and a theatrically released movie in 2007.

"Home Movies"

<span id="selection-marker-1" class="redactor-selection-marker"></span>

This often forgotten gem was one of the earliest shows from Loren Bouchard, the mind behind the immensely popular "Bob's Burgers" and it is not hard to make a family connection between the two. "Home Movies" follows the misadventures of Brendan Small (voiced by the co-creator of the same name), a third-grade cinephile who attempts to make ambitious zero-budget films with his best friends Melissa and Jason. Following in the footsteps of his first show, "Dr. Katz", Bouchard brings a natural vernacular to the dialogue that makes conversations between characters feel less scripted. It also shows off his love for musical numbers, anyone who has found themselves humming "Topsy" from Bob's Burgers owes it to themselves to check out this show.

"The Boondocks"

Aaron McGruder's controversial yet provoking comic strip was brought to life in 2005 with this anime-inspired satire on black pop-culture and modern American society. Following the lives of Huey, Riley, and Robert "Granddad" Freeman after moving from South-Side Chicago to the suburbs, the show explores timely themes of race, gender, and politics with an unrelenting and often hilarious voice that does not stray away from poignancy. In the vein of "South Park", it is the goal of "The Boondocks" to point out and poke fun at American culture, yet it is not afraid to take the extra step and bring the show into a more somber and depressing tone to prove a point. Not only is its writing sharp but it is easily the best-looking show carried by the network, often pulling inspiration from action anime and Bruce Lee with articulately choreographed fight sequences.

"The Venture Brothers"

In the early days of Adult Swim, parodies of Hanna-Barbera properties were all the rage but no show ran with it with as much excitement and vigor then "The Venture Brothers." The show is hard to describe given its many subplots. From the titular "Hardy Boys" inspired brothers Hank and Dean, to the neurotic arch-villain "The Monarch", the show is no shortage of eccentric fan-favorite characters. Essentially a love letter to all things of geek culture, Jackson Publick, and Doc Hammer have created a show with a strong cult fanbase and an expanded universe that rivals the very comic book properties it parodies.

"Rick and Morty"

Although a relatively new show, there is no doubting the quality and popularity of this love child from the minds of Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon ("Community", "Monster House"). What seems like a simple riff of "Back to the Future" turns out to be a hysterical witty show that finds the perfect balance between scripted brilliance and experimental improv. Not only that but "Rick and Morty" evokes deep existential questions about science, ethics, and morality leading to some episodes that will leave you laughing while also feeling emotionally stirred and maybe even a little depressed. It's a bizarre show that is oddly sobering, making the perfect watch for both entertainment and intellectual depth.

What is so amazing is that these names do not even scratch the surface of what "Adult Swim" has to offer and hopefully will not serve as a limit for what is yet to come.

[All clips used are credited to Adult Swim and Time Warner]