Everyone Stay 'CALM,' The New 5 Seconds Of Summer Album Is FINALLY Here

I'm here to breakdown the new album and tell you which song off of "CALM" you can ugly cry to and just say you're classic vibing.

93
@5SOS on Instagram

In 2013, 5 Seconds of Summer jumped onto the scene when they became the opening act for One Direction's Take Me Home Tour.

The next year, they released their first hit song "She Looks So Perfect," which is still a bop to this day. In the following years, they went on one more tour with One Direction, three tours of their own, toured with The Chainsmokers, and released four full-length albums, two live albums, and a handful of EPs and singles.

Their sound changes along the way - they went from the pop-punk sound of their self-titled album and "Sounds Good Feels Good" to a more synthetic pop vibe on "Youngblood" and "CALM."

Since the Australian pop-punk boy band turned pop eccentric came onto the scene thanks to One Direction, I have always loved their music. I saw them during their first solo tour, Rock Out With Your Socks Out, and yes I cried just like everyone else.

I sometimes question who I liked more, One Direction or 5 Seconds of Summer, but nonetheless I love both bands - especially since they toured together.

So, you're probably wondering, what are my thoughts on the new album "CALM"? Well, I'll tell you track by track.

1. "Red Desert"

This song kicks off the album and is honestly kind of intense. It has an older rock sound that almost mimics Queen and for some reason gives me "Mad Max" vibes, probably because of the name. It also gives me heavy montage vibes, I dig it.

Favorite Lyrics: "Won't you leave all your fears at the edge of the world?"

Rating: 6/10; not my favorite song on the album, but it isn't horrible.

2. "No Shame"

This is one of my favorite songs on this album. It has a synthetic pop vibe that I just dig, and I can't help but dance around to it in my room whenever it plays. This track is the third single for this album and no doubt screams pop over their usual pop-punk sound. The band sings about the desire to be famous and continuously seek attention, whether it's in real life or via the Internet.

Favorite Lyrics: "Go on and light me like a cigarette Even if it might be somethin' you'll regret" and "Go on, replace me When you're cravin' somethin' sweeter than the words I left in your mouth"

Rating: 10/10; Super fun to dance around to and for some reason gives me Tik Tok vibes... maybe I just spend too much time on Tik Tok.

3. "Old Me"

The fourth single off of the album reflects on the past decisions that you make and whether they were good or bad, and how they affect you now as a person and how you grow from them. It honestly represents my motto of "You grow through what you go through," which is true. Another one of my favorites that my friends and I like to blast while playing pool in the game room, in the car with the windows down, or when we're just hanging out.

Favorite Lyrics: "Shout out to the old me and everything you showed me Glad you didn't listen when the world was trying to slow me" and "Devil at my door Got me knockin', knockin', knockin' on the other side Ashes on the floor But I'm walkin', walkin', walkin' outta here alive"

Rating: 10/10; I'm probably going to make a freshman year of college video with all of the memories I made this year to this song.

4. "Easier"

The first single of the album shows the back and forth of whether it's a good idea to stay in a toxic relationship or not. The track is bass-heavy, thank you, Calum Hood, with a heavier rock sound that also has some synthetic sound (because of the bass). I originally didn't like this song, but it grew on me as it was one of the only songs from the album for a while. It's fun to yell in the car or in the shower.

Favorite Lyrics: "Is it easier to stay? Is it easier to go? I don't wanna know, oh But I know that I'm never, ever gonna change And you know that you're always gonna stay the same" and "The hardest part of all Is that we're only built to fall"

Rating: 8/10; Thank you Calum for blessing us with your bass-playing skills on this track.

5. "Teeth"

The second single of the album, that's also bass-heavy and has a darker sound to it, also goes along with the darker idea of a toxic relationship. The track was featured on the soundtrack to the third season of "13 Reasons Why." Just like the song before, I enjoy the heavier sound and the bass that is heavily featured on this track. I had this song on repeat for about four days when it came out.

Favorite Lyrics: "Every little lie gives me butterflies," "Fight so dirty, but you love so sweet Talk so pretty, but your heart got teeth," and "Blood on my shirt, rose in my hand You're looking at me like you don't know who I am"

Rating: 7/10; I enjoy the heavier sound and theme for the song; it's also pretty fun to blast and yell the lyrics to this song.

6. "Wildflower"

This song was the last single to be released before the album dropped. It's a very Calum-heavy song since he sings the majority of the track, and despite being an Ashton/Michael fan, it's one of my favorite tracks. It has a groovy beat and is honestly the older sister to their track "Valentine" from their previous album "Youngblood." It's light and fun compared to the previous tracks.

Favorite Lyrics: "My wildflower You know you are my favorite fantasy A fatal love song Waterfall is overflowin'"

Rating: 8/10; It's super fun and bouncy, perfect to dance around to, and makes me want to have someone to call me their wildflower. Thank you for making my standards in men so much higher than they were, 5SOS.

7. "Best Years"

Get your tissues because this song will probably make you cry. This song is lead singer Luke Hemmings' favorite track; he even released an acoustic version before the album dropped via Twitter. This song is basically a beautiful love note that makes you feel all of the feelings. It's basically a song that says you're 100% committed to the person you're with for possibly forever.

Favorite Lyrics: "You've got a million reasons to hesitate But darling, the future's better than yesterday," "But I'll build a house out of the mess and all the broken pieces I'll make up for all of your tears," and "I'll give you the best years Past love, burned out like a cigarette I promise, darling, you won't regret The best years"

Rating: 9/10; It gives off wedding/proposal vibes, and yes, it made me cry. I want a love like Luke and his girlfriend have, thank you ONCE AGAIN to 5SOS for continuing to make my standards in men even higher.

8. "Not in the Same Way"

In my opinion, this is the 5 Seconds of Summer version of Katy Perry's "Hot and Cold." It's all about the beginning of a relationship and trying to get to know your partner. I really like the sound and the lyrics of this song; it's fun, but it also has a message that a lot of people can relate to.

Favorite Lyrics: "I know you think I'm bulletproof But you know how to hurt me too" and "I love you, you love me But not in the same way"

Rating: 7/10; It's a bop that you can just vibe to.

9. "Lover of Mine"

This track hurts for some reason, not quite sure why, but it does. It's beautiful and melodic and has the maturity that this band has reached with this album. It's all about admitting past mistakes to their partner and what they've even done wrong to them. To make this song even better, Luke and his girlfriend - Sierra Deaton - wrote this song together, making it feel like it's them laying all of their cards on the table to each other.

Favorite Lyrics: "Lover of mine, maybe we'll take some time Kaleidoscope mind gets in the way Hope and I pray, darling, that you will stay Butterfly lies, chase them away, mmm" and "When I take a look at my life and all of my crimes You're the only thing that I think I got right I'll never give you away 'Cause I already made, already made that mistake"

Rating: 11/10; This is it - this is the track that you can ugly cry to and say you're just classic vibing. Yes, I ugly cried to this song.

10. "Thin White Lies"

I love this song. I like the sound of it, the chorus has a bit of a groovy sound, and it gives me "Cry Me A River" by Justin Timberlake vibes. This track is all about the reflection of realizing a person is changing you and not for the better, and how you start to not even recognize yourself or like yourself.

Favorite Lyrics: "Killin' me slow with the words you wrote The heart you broke, the heart you broke" and "I don't think I like me anymore Can someone tell me who I was before?"

Rating: 14/10; I can't explain it, but this song is just top tier, solid sound, solid lyrics, and I just love it.

11. "Lonely Heart"

This is another track to just vibe to, in my opinion. I like how it's filled with dance metaphors. One of the lyrics is "Our house on fire, we're burnin'" which could loop back to their track "Ghost of You" from their album "Youngblood," especially since this track and that track talk about being alone and dancing with the person the tracks are about. Obviously, this is just an idea that I have about the tracks connecting. This song is just about being in-and-out of a relationship and being a lonely heart.

Favorite Lyrics: "Your type of mind, so hard to find Native of mine, you're just my kind" and "So I close my eyes while you walk away, mmm Can I have a second chance? Can I have another dance? Can I start another life with you?"

Rating: 7/10; It has a solid sound and beat, as well as great lyrics.

12. "High"

Ow. This song hurts and hits close to home for some reason. It's a bit narcissistic because you're hoping that one person who hurt you or ended things with you still thinks about you when they're with another - and that those thoughts are good things. It has a sweet sound, and it just is possibly another tear-jerker. Can the artists I like stop writing songs that make me cry, please?

Favorite Lyrics: "Today, I've called to tell you that I'm changing But I don't think you have enough respect to see me try," "Now every step I take with hesitation," and "I hope you think of me highly When you're with someone else"

Rating: 8/10; Yes, I cried during this song because I relate a bit too much. It's a good song despite the tears and memories it might bring.

Well, this album brings a different sound for 5 Seconds of Summer, and I really enjoy it. If you need some new music while we all are still stuck inside, give "CALM" a listen and remember to please wash your hands.

As an Amazon Affiliate partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.