5 Things to Know About Your Roommate

5 Things to Know About Your Roommate

5 things college students should know about their soon-to-be roommate

57
5 Things to Know About Your Roommate
google

No matter how long you know someone before you live with them, you find out so many new things about your roommates as time goes on. As a college student who plans on moving into an apartment with one (or more) roommates, there are 5 things you need to know BEFORE you move in.

1. Temperament

Whether you are easy going and patient, or high strung and impatient, you need to live with someone whose temperament compliments yours. If you are anything like me and are impatient along with a short fuse, you are most likely going to want someone that is the opposite. In my current living situation, my roommate is very patient and pretty easy going about almost anything. If you have a short fuse and so does your roommates, you can expect lots of arguments and hostile feelings. These arguments and feelings are fleeting, but even short moments can cause uncomfortable feelings with both of the roommates.

2. Hygiene

When I say "hygiene" I am referring to not only yourself, but your living space. If you like a squeaky clean place, do NOT live with someone who is messy... that is just common sense. If you are someone who leaves dishes in the sink and dirty clothes on your bedroom floor, find someone that either is the same, or can handle your mess without causes problems between the two of you. When it comes to personal hygiene.. well if you like to smell good, live with someone else that likes to smell good. This may seem like common sense, but you would be surprised with the amount of roommate conflicts based off of personal hygiene.

3. Major/Usual Class Load

There are so many types of majors and minors that students can have. If you are enrolled in a major program that requires many hours of studying, it is most likely in your best interest to live with someone in a similar boat. Hopefully your study habits will be similar, and you'll both be able to get what you need done, without interfering with each other. Someone with an "easier" major may not require as much studying to be put into their classes. If the roommate with the harder major is spending all their time studying while the other is spending their time lolligagging, it seems likely that one will become frustrated with the other sooner or later.

4. Morning Routine

Some people take two hours to get ready in the morning, others can take 15 minutes. Some use up all the hot water by taking 45 minute showers, while others take a short and sweet 15 minute showers. If you are someone who likes to take your time getting ready, and you're in the bathroom for hours.. you should probably live with someone who is the opposite. Two people trying to get completely ready at the same time is gonna cause some conflict. Make sure you are being considerate when it comes to your shower and bathroom use. Talking it out and negotiation are key.

5. Nighttime Habits

There's the people who like to go to bed early, the people who stay up all night (for whatever reason), and the partiers. No matter which you are, you need to make sure you find someone whose habits aren't going to affect yours, and vice versa. If you like to go to bed early every night.. make sure your roommate either A) goes to bed early too, or B) understands that and is respectful of your habits. Night owls work well with night owls, and early birds work well with early birds. Knowing this before you live with someone can prevent you and your roommate from having conflict and help you avoid having to change your sleep schedule to cope with another person.

In the end, there are always going to be things that you and your roommate don't agree upon, whether it be something as serious as politics, or something as silly as air-freshener smells. All you can do is try to make the best out of any living situation, and if your roommate is one of your good friends, don't let silly roommate arguments ruin your friendship.