5 Essential Tips For Any Road Trip

5 Essential Tips For Any Road Trip

A short list of simple but vital tips to make road tripping as easy as possible.

2
5 Essential Tips For Any Road Trip
Photo by kaluci on Unsplash

With the summer creeping ever closer, road trip season is upon us. I have personally been on countless road trips and it is one of my favorite hobbies. Here is a short list of tips and tricks I have learned over the years.

1. Pack food for the drive

Depending on how long the trip is going to be, stopping to eat multiple times can add hours to your trip and can cause fatigue to set in and make the trip much more difficult. A small cooler with a few lunch sandwiches, drinks, and some snacks can make the world of difference on even small trips.

2. Plan your route before leaving

With GPS being so easily accessible it is easy to just plug in your destination on google maps and follow it blindly. However, sometimes even google messes up which could cost hours of time. It is always a good idea to review the route to plan for any stops you may need to make as well as making sure you are on the shortest route available. Accidents on major routes happen often and it is extremely helpful to know alternative routes to circumvent traffic.

3. Make a playlist

This tip may seem small and inconsequential, but the music selection of a trip can make an incredible difference. The music being played sets the mood and playing old songs that everyone on the trip knows can help pass the time much faster. Additionally, for overnight trips especially, the music can help the driver stay awake and alert while giving them entertainment while the rest of the car is sleeping.

4. Have a good co-pilot

Every ship has a first mate, and driving on a road trip is no different. The role of the co-pilot is incredibly significant, and for this reason it is extremely important to travel with at least one other person if possible. Sitting in the front passenger seat, the co-pilot's job is to give upcoming directions and other necessary navigation advice, organize stops, and to play the music requests of the rest of the car. Although not required, it is beneficial for the co-pilot to stay awake for the whole trip to provide company for the driver.

5. Have fun!

It is easy to lose sight that the goal of the trip is to have fun while driving, as it can be exceptionally boring. However, the drive of the trip can be the most fun part if you put in the effort. From singing to playing road games, or even stopping to admire the landscape of the places you travel through. A personal favorite of mine is to stop and try local foods that may not be available where I live during the trip, especially if it is an area I have never traveled through before. It does not matter how you find fun, as long as you can make the trip fun.