5 Reasons Why You MUST Have A Sense of Humor In College

Laughter is the best medicine. But if you're laughing without any reason, you need medicine.

274
Wikimedia

Face it, college is HARD. Like the kind of hard that makes you really want to dig yourself a hole, crawl in it, and wait to die. Maybe that’s exaggerated just a tad, but you catch my drift. This is why it is absolutely imperative to have a sense of humor so you can laugh it off instead of doing the whole digging a hole thing.

Plus, I think it would be kind of hard to dig a hole that deep with the ground currently being so cold and hard. We all know we do not need that extra work. So just scratch that. Here are five reasons why you have to be able to laugh it off.

Reason #1 Professors are going to STRESS you out.

They’re going to go from giving no assignments to giving approximately 85 in one week. I personally think they find joy in making us feel like we belong in an asylum. This is when you take a deep breath, and sing at the top of your lungs, “You’re a monster, Mr. Grinch. Your heart's an empty hole. Your brain is full of spiders. You've got garlic in your soul, Mr Grinch. I wouldn't touch you with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole.” Trust me. This will make you feel better while completing said assignments.

Reason #2 You're likely going to oversleep.

You're going to oversleep for that 8am. You're going to wake up in a complete panic, while running out of the door wearing two different patterned clothing articles, and two different shoes. It’s fine. This is normal. At some point you’re going to catch a good look in the mirror, and either laugh or cry about your ridiculous bedhead and attire. A-l-w-a-y-s choose to laugh. After all, there are probably 50% of students in the same situation.

Reason #3 No gym = No Buenos

You aren’t going to get to the gym as much as you want. And you’re going to want to cry when you realize you’ve eaten chips and queso one too many times. But you simply cannot cry. You have to put on your running shoes, and laugh at yourself as you're panting like a dog, and dying a slow death on the treadmill.

Reason #4 Sleep is a gift- one of which you are not privileged to.

You’re going to pull all-nighter (I see YOU midterm/finals week) and you’re going to be completely delusional. Like you might forget your own name when the barista at Starbucks asks you (as if you don’t know my name, I've been here 5x already today). You’re going to likely fall asleep in the shower. And your language will probably sound like a 3 year old- all slurred together and such. The good news here is your mind is so mentally done that every single thing is hilarious.

Reason #5 You're going to embarrass yourself.. a lot

You’re going to trip down the stairs/sidewalk/flat ground a time or twenty. The prime time for it to happen is usually when a crowd of people are watching. You're going to throw your metal water bottle across the classroom in the middle of a lecture. You're going to drop your tray full of food at the cafeteria. Again- this is all normal. The perk of constant embarrassment is you won't only be giving yourself a laugh, but you'll also give the strangers observing a laugh. Your embarrassment is for the greater good.

There are a million more reasons why having a sense of humor is critical, but I’m going to leave it here and let you answer your reasons why. Some super wise person who probably trips over his/her own feet as well once said, “laughing is good for the soul.” It truly is. Laugh at yourself, and don’t take yourself too seriously. That is one of my best tips for getting through this roller-coaster stage in life known as college.