Five Reasons Why Representation Matters

Five Reasons Why Representation Matters

This is for those who may not understand why representation is important.

19131
Five Reasons Why Representation Matters
Instagram

Representation in media is essential. We all like to feel that we can relate to something or someone. We like to know that we are not alone or that we can too be like the lead character in that action movie or YA novel.

For as long as I've been alive (24 years to be exact, the last 14 are the years that really matter) I've seen movies, read books and played video games, but there weren't many characters that I could relate to. Every kid (or adult) likes to imagine themselves as their favorite character or superhero. So here are some reasons why representation matters.

1. Everyone should have characters or images they can relate to.

It's a part of who we are and how we understand ourselves.

2. It helps us to embrace our culture.

Yes, we are told we need to embrace ourselves, but it would be a lot more comforting to see more character portrayals that reflect every culture.

3. There are stories that are missing.

Without representation of all genders, races, sexes, sexualities and body types there are stories that are missing. Without equal representation people will feel like they aren't heard or seen.

4. It's realistic.

In the media representation can often be misinterpreted and it's more realistic to see characters and people who embody us.

5. Because everyone deserves to see themselves in their heroes.

It teaches self love and it feels damn good to see or read about someone like you!

Say what you want, but representation is important and it matters! It may some minor and unimportant to some, but sometimes minor things can cause big outcomes.