5 Reasons To Donate To Thrift Stores

5 Reasons To Donate To Thrift Stores

With so many benefits, why not stop by today?

1169
5 Reasons To Donate To Thrift Stores
Sand Dollar

While some people may think of them as those weird, run-down looking "hipster" stores, the true impact that thrift stores can have on their community is often not discussed as much as it should be. As someone who has just begun volunteering at a thrift store, as a way to both add to my resume and give back to my community, I have begun to notice all of the truly amazing things that thrift stores do. So, if you're stuck with that bag of unwanted clothing that you're not sure what to do with, here are five reasons why you may want to consider donating them to your local thrift store.

1. You are able to get rid of things you don't need.

This one is a bit obvious, but sometimes a little spring (or any time of year) cleaning can be a really cathartic experience. Especially when all of those sale items from the holidays that you splurged on are starting to pile up. By donating to a thrift store you are able to purge your closet of all of those extra things you just aren't really wearing.

2. Your clothing now gets a second chance at life.

While it may be easier to simply throw your clothes in the dumpster and call it a day, sometimes all of that waste can feel a bit well...wasteful. When donating to a thrift store you know that someone else may get the chance to fall in love with that shirt you never wear or those too-tight-for-you pants.

3. You may leave the shop with a new item of your own.

While you may initially be there to get rid of things, who's to say you can't treat yourself to a new item for a job well done? Especially since clothing at thrift stores are often sold at amazingly plow prices, you can treat yourself to that cute top without draining your bank account.

4. The item will be put to good use.

One thing I didn't know until recently when I began volunteering was that thrift shops do their best to find homes for all of the clothing and items donated to them, even if they're not able to sell them directly. They will often sort the donations and will give clothing that they cannot sell to other groups that provide clothing for shelters, homeless people and refugees.

5. You are donating to a good cause

Most thrift stores are created and run to benefit a specific cause. Many of them donate a portion or even all of their proceeds to a specifc cause. From churches to, families to the homeless and many others, there are so many causes that you can be helping by donating to a thrift store. With the ability to donate to a good cause, give your clothing a second home and even finding some new pieces for yourself, it's clear to see that thrift store shopping is a true win-win!