5 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Work In Healthcare

Don't be scared, but be ready.

3521
gettyimages

Take a moment and think of all of the little kids, teenagers and even young adults in the world who, when asked what they want to be when they grow up, answer "doctor" or "nurse?" There are a lot. Don't misunderstand me, it's fantastic that so many young people want to enter a career in healthcare, but they need to know what it entails. It's not all happy people saving other happy people. It's not all life or death situations. It isn't an episode of "Grey's Anatomy," "House," or "General Hospital." Healthcare is not an easy field to work in. It requires a lot of effort both physically and emotionally, and it isn't for the faint of heart. These are 5 reasons why you shouldn't enter a career in healthcare.

1. You have to work.

Yes! I know, it's a shocker. Being a Physician, Physical therapist, PA, RN, LPN, or what have you all require, you guessed it, WORK! It's not a profession where you get to sit down and lounge all day with the occasional emergency to spike your interest. You are constantly either working with people or you're doing paperwork. If you want to get a job in healthcare, make sure you don't expect to sit around and do nothing all day.

2. It's dirty.

I'm going to be honest, so here's the truth: working in healthcare means you will get dirty. You are working with people, and not everyone is squeaky clean. A lot of healthcare professions get up close and personal with patients, and you may happen upon several different kinds of bodily fluids from one person in just a few hours. Yes, there's blood. Yes, there's vomit. Yes, there's poop. If you aren't prepared for that, you're never going to last.

3. You are a team member.

If you aren't prepared to work with other people, then you might as well quit now. In healthcare you are one person who is a part of a much larger team. That team may consist of patients, families, nurses, doctors, therapists, social workers, and many more. If you aren't willing to work with others, not only will you be miserable but the people you're working with will be miserable too. Don't bother if you aren't willing to contribute as a team member.

4. You start right out of school.

Healthcare positions are rapidly growing, with new openings available to apply for all the time. People need healthcare; that is something that becoming more and more urgent. Positions in healthcare are opening up every day, and they're yours for the taking (or, application rather). I mean, who would want job security? Who wants to graduate college with a degree you can actually use? Why would anyone want to be able to find a job in their chosen field?

5. You make a difference.

Don't go into healthcare if you want to make a difference in another person's life. The decisions you make every day in a healthcare profession have the potential to positively or negatively impact a person on a large scale. Yes, sometimes it may seem like the things you are doing are only minimally important, but even if you aren't restarting a heart and just helping a patient to ambulate you are making a difference in their life.

Healthcare has it's positives and negatives, but in my opinion the rewards hugely outweigh the burdens. I can't wait to graduate and begin my own career in healthcare in a few years, and I'm happy currently working in another healthcare job until I do. It's hard at times. It's taking and some days it takes everything I have in me, but at the end of the day I love what I do and can't wait to do more. I know that I am helping others do what they otherwise couldn't, and the satisfaction of knowing you positively impacted another person is a great feeling to have at the end of the day. You shouldn't let a career in healthcare scare you, but you should also be aware of what you're getting yourself into. Do some research into the career you're pursuing before you commit. Be certain you know what your job will entail and what you will be expected to do. Don't be scared, but be ready. People out there are waiting for people like you and me to help them, and maybe, just maybe, we can help them by working in healthcare.