5 Reasons You Should Take Drama Class In High School

How one class can open you up and help you get through high school.
3342

As a shy girl who always sat in the back of the classroom, I understand why the idea of getting on stage in front of people is intimidating. However, I guarantee that if you let yourself shine you won’t regret it. Here are a few reasons why you should try out the stage.

1. The people you will meet.

By my senior year of high school, I was trying to recruit my friends to do drama class with me. I was surprised when a few of them told me they didn’t want to join because they were afraid of looking bad in front of all the kids who had “years of experience”. As someone who did Speech and Debate for four years, and drama class for two and a half, I can assure you not every kid you come across is a Meryl Streep or a Johnny Depp. In fact, unless you go to a prestigious drama academy for the sole reason of becoming a Hollywood star, most of the kids you see in drama class are there for fun. In my experience, other students are more than understanding if you get a bit nervous in front of everyone and forget your lines. Chances are, they’re the same way. On the other hand, the students that with a bit more experience, tend to be outgoing and fun. If you are a shy individual, it helps hanging out with people who aren’t. They might be able to open you up a bit.

2. It’s a great break from other classes.

Whether you take drama first thing in the morning, somewhere in the middle, or at the end of the day, it’s a great breather from other classes you might find overwhelming. I had drama seventh period my freshman, junior, and senior year. Having it at the end of the day was incredibly helpful. Depending on your teacher, you probably won’t have a ton of tests to worry about. Drama is a very active class and it gets you out of your desks. After taking your other classes, this might be something you need.

3. Teachers are understanding.

After getting turned down by many of my friends after asking them to join drama class, I learned most didn’t want to for one reason: stage fright. I already mentioned your peers will understand, but so will your teachers. Yes, you might have to get up and perform a monologue on your own, but you will be helped through the process. When it comes to a big performance in front of your school, and you don’t want a big part, talk to your teacher! They won’t give you the lead if you don’t want it. Teachers want their students to succeed and feel comfortable in the classroom, so make sure you let them know if you are scared. They might even have some great tips for you on overcoming it.

4. I become someone else.

For me, the best part of drama class was becoming all of the characters I played. Putting on a costume and pretending to be someone else can be a ton of fun! Sometimes, it’s even helpful. High school is stressful; becoming a different person might be what you need. Step out of your own shoes, and put on a character’s and for a brief moment, you can forget about everything that’s going on around you. You can forget about your math final, the fight you had with your best friend, or whatever might be going on at home. Convincing yourself you’re actually the character can take time, but it’s worth it.

5. It gets you out of your shell.

This is only if you allow it to. If you stand in front of everyone and whisper your lines, you won’t get anywhere. The best advice I can give you, is to just let it happen. Don’t worry about the audience. I used to not be able to look a cashier in the eyes as I bought groceries at a store because I was so awkward. Drama helped me overcome that. My hands used to shake every time I so much as presented a two minute slideshow on fruit in culinary class. That stopped too. It took time, but eventually I started feeling comfortable around others. I started not worrying about what they thought of me. Let drama class open you up. Don’t be scared. Just take it one step at a time, and you will be okay.

With these five reasons, I hope you take drama class into consideration. I used to be terrified of drama, but now I am getting a degree in college so I can teach it. It’s important to give something a chance. You might be surprised.