5 Reasons I Love My Sorority Sisters

5 Reasons I Love My Sorority Sisters

I never thought I'd be a sorority girl, but now that I am, I can't imagine my life any other way

470
5 Reasons I Love My Sorority Sisters
Jessica Clayton

When you hear the word “sorority,” chances are you picture what Hollywood sells to you in every movie about college: crazy parties, promiscuous girls, and uppity attitudes. I’d be a liar if I sat here and said that’s not what I pictured before. I knew my school had an active Greek life community and honestly never pictured myself being interested in that scene. All the girls I saw in letters seemed to embody that stereotype and I couldn’t see myself ever trying to conform to that image.

Until I met my future sisters.

One of my good friends was supposed to be taking me home, but she had an event with her sorority to go to. With the offer of free caramel apples, I couldn’t really refuse her offer. When we got to the event, I saw a group of girls that completely changed my views on the whole Greek community.

Each sister was unique in her own way, and none of them were what I had pictured before. They all were so warm, inviting, and fun. Within two weeks, I was on my way to the library for a supposed study session, but instead was invited with open arms into the sisterhood of Phi Sigma Sigma.

Now, as I go into initiation week, I find myself thinking back on this process and coming up with the top 5 reasons I love my girls.

1. They’re my home away from home.

The night I got my bid, I got so many friend requests that I lost track after 20. My Facebook timeline was blowing up with girls welcoming me into the sisterhood and expressing their excitement for me. Now, 6 weeks later, I am always waving and smiling and blowing kisses to girls all across campus. When things get stressful, I know I can always vent to anyone and they’ll be right behind me. This group of people has allowed me to become another part of their family and I couldn’t hope to find a better support system.

2. So. Many. Hugs.

Everyone that knows me knows I’m a hugger. Sometimes hugs are all you really need to make things just a little more bearable. Every sister who was there on my bid night pulled me into a hug and I don’t think they ever planned on stopping if I need it. We just really like to embrace each other.

3. We keep each other grounded.

Being in college is stressful, everyone who’s been there knows it. Keeping your GPA up, trying to eat healthy, staying close with friends and attempting to keep a full head of hair is just a fraction of the worries we all go through on a daily basis. Having my sisters to remind me that things are going to work out is such a comfort when things get rough. We’re all trying to get through this day by day and we know how hard it can be to keep your head above water. Standing with each other as we go through this crazy world is all we can really ask for.

4. Getting food is never a question.

I’m always hungry. Always. I also never want to get food by myself. Come on, who wants to just sit at a table eating with no one to talk to? The sisters made sure that would never happen again. Among the many group chats we have going for the sorority, the food time one is the most active because no matter what time of day it is, someone wants a Sheetz run partner.

5. I’ll never have to be alone.

The saying within my sisterhood is, “Once a Phi Sigma Sigma, always a Phi Sigma Sigma.” I know with any sorority the friendships you gain mean more than anything. Between your Big, your family line, your pledge class and your chapter, you’re always connected to wonderful people. When you wear letters, you identify with sisters across the country and allow yourself to be a beacon of love for any other sister you see. Whether I’m still in college or out in the world, I will always have an amazing group of people who share the same values as I do and who embody the same love I emanate. I will never be without friends, no matter where I find myself in this world.