5 Ways We Are All Jessica Day From "New Girl"

From becoming a future teacher to shoving crystal meth down the toilet, we have all had our moments that make us Jessica Day.

If you're like me, you've gone down a spiraling rabbit hole of the one and only TV show "New Girl". Whether it's Nick's erratic behavior, Schmidt's unhealthy attachment to Cece, or Winston's pranking schemes, something got you hooked to the tell-tale of these people's everyday life and what the encounter in it. Jessica Day, the protagonist and main character of the show, is what got it from me. From pursuing her dreams in education like me to her love of others, I relate to her on an unholy level. These five traits are only a few on why I, and maybe you, am Jessica Day and are enough to highlight what it's like to be friends with me.

1. You're always butting into other people's business.

If you’re like Jess, it’s hard to not butt into other people’s lives, though you try your best to stay out of it. Whether it be a good or a bad thing, you want to give your advice and knowledge to others that you believe will highly benefit their lifestyle and improve breaking relationships they might be having. Now while your constant input may drive people insane, you know you’re doing it out of the best intentions from your heart.

2. Panicking is your second nature.

It’s almost impossible not to panic when something goes wrong or takes a turn in your life. Whether your panicking involves slamming things around your apartment, curling up in a ball, or running around to calm yourself down, you’ve done it all to try and get your heart rate back to resting order. While most of the time these things don’t work out, you just end up hyperventilating till you pass out and sleep.

3. You see the absolute best in everyone.

Like Jess, it’s hard to really label anyone as a completely terrible person. Of course, there are a few people that really get under your skin, but you really want people to live up to the positive expectations that you believe they can show. So even if a person comes off as a grump at first, it takes you a long time to really deem them “avoid at all costs”.

4. You are a child at heart.

Crafts, silly shirts, and dance parties are all I really need to stay entertained on a sunny morning day. Sure, everyone loves a Sunday morning hangover from playing ‘True American’ and having a little too much fun, but let’s be real, lounging on the couch and watching endless chick-flicks with your friends is always fun too -- especially when the viewing party involves tons of sugar and blankets. You also sound like a child a lot of the time, humming and singing at any given moment, that your friends have deemed you as the kid of the group.

5. You care a little too much about your friends.

Finally, friendship. Your friends are your support system, prized possessions,

and always there when you need them. So of course, when someone hurts them or even agitates them in the slightest you get a little defensive over them. I mean if they’re not, doesn’t someone else have to? You have to protect them from making stupid decisions like becoming a hippie or protect them by flushing all possible evidence down the toilet when the police show up at your doorstep.

Everyone’s favorite quirky, silly, and empathetic girl, Jessica Day, has had her moments that many young adults have today as well. From unexpected song outbursts to “seducing” your landlord, we can all relate to Jessica Day in one way or another. I choose to embrace my inner Jess since she makes everything more fun and positive. If you’re not the Jess of your group, then you’re not really the fun one.