5 Reasons Why Having Your Best Friend as Your College Rival Is the Best

Your mom never told you fighting with others could be this fun.

101
Taylor Regnier

Best friends are wonderful. College rivalries are intense. Add them together, its wonderfully intense. If you are anything like me, you somehow got lucky enough to have your best friend from high school turn into your college rival. Having your best friend as your college rival is probably the most entertaining college dynamic you can have in your four years, and here's why:

1.GAMES ARE WAY MORE FUN TO ATTEND

Rivalry game day is great for anyone in the college atmosphere. The whole week leading up to it there is that distinct buzz in the air. Schools throw pep rallies, and students order game day shirts. If your best friend is on the opposing side, you are taunting your BFF all week long. Then it's game day. You show up and reunite with your best friend (who by the way you haven't seen for at least a month). You start watching the game when you realize that either your team will win, or theirs - and if your BFF wins, don't you kind of win too? You share everything with your best friend anyways, you might as well share the win. So whatever happens you win! At that point you start feeling like Pam Beesly at the Dundies.

2. FLAUNTING YOUR COLLEGE APPAREL

When I know I'm going to see my frenemy, I make sure to wear my college apparel. There is no better subtle jab at your friend than walking into a room wearing rival clothing. Make sure you give your friend your best Beyoncé hair toss! (Pro tip: If you ever want to make an interesting bet, bet that the loser has to wear the winner's college apparel onto campus. It's a sure fire way to give some major embarrassment.)

3. BECOMING AN INSIDER BY BEING AN OUTSIDER

If you so bravely decide to breach enemy territory to visit your BFF, you are in for one good time. For each person you meet on campus, you can depend on your friend telling them you are their rival (if you don't beat your BFF to it, of course). Being a rival is an instant icebreaker. Soon, everyone in the room will know who you are. You become an insider by being an outsider. Embrace your inner Dan Humphrey. XOXO.

4. ENDLESS SUPPLY OF JOKES

Rivalry jokes are the best in the book. Better yet, they are extremely abundant. All you have to do is go onto Yik Yak and begin reading. I've included my personal favorites from my own college and my best friend's (notice the diss yak toward St. John's received 150 more upvotes - one coming from myself).

5. CUTE PICTURES

Real talk now. What is better than Instagramming that super cute picture of you and your rival BFF in your college apparel? Nothing. Well maybe Instagramming a super cute picture of you, your BFF, and Ryan Reynolds - but that might be a bit difficult to get that picture... But seriously, taking pictures with your frenemy is a major perk of the rivalry. You can do all sorts of fun poses pretending to fight but really just end up laughing like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

Having your high school best friend turn into your college rival, might possibly be the highlight of your four years in college. Just try not to tease them too much about going to such an inferior school.