We all need a pick-me-up when things get challenging and we get tested with our work. What better advice to follow than from those who work day and night to achieve their dreams? Here are some quotes from Olympian athletes themselves to help you persevere through the semester.
1. I'm trying to do the best I can. I'm not concerned with tomorrow, but with what goes on today." Mark Spitz (Swimming 1972).
Sometimes when we, as students, get due dates thrown at us left and right it is almost impossible for us to just focus on today. How can you when you have three other assignments due tomorrow, and the next day, and the next? But, always thinking ahead can lead to feeling flustered and overwhelmed, and ultimately make you question how anything will get done. Try planning your week ahead, so all the assignments are written out. Then, you can focus on your daily tasks. When assignments are written they seem more concrete than just floating in your head accompanied with many other thoughts. Getting through the semester can seem more achievable when you focus on one day at a time.
2. "Nothing is impossible. With so many saying it couldn't be done, all it takes is an imagination." Michael Phelps (Swimming 2012)
We all have doubters at first. You tell someone your goals and your dreams and everyone wants to question the steps you take or how to get there. Well, many of us don't know, we just know we want to. Just remember those who might want to keep questioning can. All you need is the thought of getting there, your imagination of reaching your goals.
3. Failure is inevitable- and it's the people that keep trying who become successful." Mirai Nagasus (Figure Skater 2018)
Everyone fails at something. It can be really hard to come back from those grades when you fail a big test or fail to get the job/internship, but at least you gained the practice of it. You practiced the problems on the test or practiced the application process. Practice makes perfect and how can we practice if we do not fail. While going through our semesters, it is easy to forget failure can be a good thing. We keep learning by our mistakes.
4. "Even if you have setbacks and you have bad day, you have to believe in yourself that things are going to turn around." Lindsey Vonn (Skier 2018)
You would not be in school if you did not believe in yourself. We all have had setbacks before college, so it only makes sense to have setbacks in college. After those bad days or bad weeks we have to move forward and keep going and just trust the next days will look up. Before you know it, the semester is over.
5. "Oh and I also had 2 churros today and they were pretty bomb so if you ever get nervous go eat a churro." Chloe Kim (Snowboarding 2018)
Just a reminder that school does not have to be always serious and during challenging times we all need a good laugh. Another reminder that everyone gets nervous- even Olympians.
Hopefully browsing through these quotes inspired you to get motivated and finish the semester strong!