5 Quotes From 'You’re Allowed to Change' That Will Give You Feels

Bianca Sparacino's piece is full of deep one-liners.

220
MAPUANA ANDRADE PHOTO
1. “If you are learning about yourself, if you are experiencing new things and flourishing inside, so is your heart; and your heart is allowed to recognize that, at a certain point in time, it may deserve something different than it once wanted.”

Don’t let yourself drown in what “has always been” when your heart, mind, and body are starving for “what could be”. You owe yourself the chance to be able to live, without being chained to obligation, expectations, and mediocre comfort. You owe yourself the right to look back on an incredible life and say “I’m the one who made this possible.”

2. “Do not let people tell you that loving yourself, and learning how to feel confident in who you are and what you look like, is conceited. You are not narcissistic, you are not high maintenance, you are not superficial, for doing things that make you feel empowered.“

Dye your hair purple, wear those heels that you know hurt your toes, curl those lashes, take the million selfies, because i’ll be damned if someone tries to validate themselves by telling you it’s not okay to feel beautiful in your own skin.

3. “You are allowed to take your time figuring out what truly sets your heart on fire. You are allowed to be more than your degree, more than your plan. You are allowed to rebuild your dreams. You are allowed to start over.”

Your 20’s are meant to be selfish. Do everything possible, join a cooking club, read books that have pretty covers, take an internship at a chocolate factory, take art classes you know you suck at, work somewhere you have to wear a stupid hat, take the yoga class you always wanted to try, be indecisive. Be selfish with your time, fall in love, fall out of love, change your major five times, never leave the party, change your mind, and change it again because all you are promised is today.

4. “The people in your life who truly matter will never admonish you for changing. Instead, they will build you up; they will inspire and motivate you.”

You are not the reflection of those who can’t love you, who say you love too hard, dream in vibrant color, who try to harden your softness. You are the reflection of everyone who has said yes, who has been in your corner since day one, the people you are thinking of right now. Love those people fiercely, they will always fear a stagnant life as much as you do.

5. “You don’t owe anyone an apology for changing. You don’t owe anyone an apology for being different than you were a year ago, for wanting new things.”

You don’t want to hurt anyone, I get it. But, in 30 years, when you wake up and think about the chances you had to make things right in your life, I hope you can say you took those chances. I hope you say you were brave in fighting for your own happiness. I hope you can say you gave yourself the chance at a life worth dreaming about as you fall asleep holding your grandkids. I hope you can say you loved so hard it hurt. By god, I hope you can say you did it.