5 BIG Advantages To Being A Commuter In College

You get to experience college and get your college experiences without all the hassle and unfamiliarity.

102
Flickr

Everyone always talks about how they had a great experience in college thanks to living the "dorm life." Well, I am here to tell you that I am a commuter and I am having just as great of a time as any resident. Here are some reasons as to why being a commuter is way better.

1. You get to sleep in your own bed

Dorm beds just seem super uncomfortable and they are so small. You have to put out the extra money for a pillow top if you want to make the bed even remotely comfortable while I am at home in a bed that I already know is comfy.

2. You don't have to deal with awful room/dormmates

While residents have to deal with loud and noisy neighbors or roommates, I am at home enjoying the peace and quiet and getting my homework done with little to no distractions. I do not have to worry about being roomed with a slob and I do not have to worry about someone stealing my things.

3. It saves money

On average I spend about $400 on gas for an entire semester of school. Paying to live in a dorm on campus is quite a bit more than that. I would rather spend $400 than $4000 just to be closer to school.

4. Teachers are more lenient if you're running late

For residents, teachers are a little more strict on tardiness considering they are just a short walk away from whatever building they are in. With commuter students, however, there are a ton of variables that can affect us being on time. Traffic, construction, stop lights, and weather all are contributing factors that may slow us down and make us late. Sure, we can leave an hour early, but sometimes there are just things that are out of our control.

5. I get to have my whole wardrobe with me

Most residents do not get to bring their entire wardrobe with them. What happens when you forget to pack a shirt, but you really want to wear it? Guess you have to wait to get it shipped to you, whereas I have my entire wardrobe at my fingertips, and I can wear whatever I want, whenever I want, and I never have to worry about not having something with me.

I understand that some people go out of state and have no option but to be a resident. But for those who have a choice, commuting is way better. You get to experience college and get your college experiences without all the hassle and unfamiliarity.