5 Popular Lies You Should Stop Believing

Fall into fallacy

119
I did this. I think I know my own name, thanks.

Have you ever told a lie? Don't answer, liar. Some people like to lie more than others. One of life's greatest annoyances occurs when a lie becomes so widespread that we treat it as fact. Check out this list of popular lies that just aren't true.

1. When played backwards, the tambourine used in "Wonderwall" is a triangle.

This one is pretty believable, so I don't blame you for believing it. Some wise guy thought it would be funny to spread this rumor almost immediately after the release of "Wonderwall" by Oasis in 1995. This was in the 90s, so there was no technology available to prove that the tambourine part of the song, when played in reverse, changed to a triangle being dinged. True to 90s form, people just went with it and the lie became etched in history. But now our generation has to deal with the flak. Today is gonna be the day I'm not gonna lie to you.

2. John F. Kennedy is a jelly doughnut.

It's a common misconception that John F. Kennedy said something delicious during a speech on June 26, 1963. Americans believed that when Kennedy said "Ich bin ein Berliner," he wasn't trying to say "I am a citizen of Berlin," but instead "I am a Berliner." A Berliner is a jelly doughnut. That much is true. Contrary to popular belief, our 35th president intended to stand in solidarity with the post-WWII population of Berlin, not doughnuts. Thanks to the American public's inability to understand that "ein" was used correctly, a speech that should've filled our nation with pride instead filled us with fruity preserves.

3. Hitmonlee.

Hitmonlee could never be.

4. Marge Simpson saying "Baaaaart!!" at the end of every episode of "The Simpsons."

She didn't do it. There's this lie going around that every episode of The Simpsons ended with Marge Simpson frustratingly yelling "Baaaaaart!!" at the end of every episode, most likely with the camera starting at her mouth and zooming out until we see the exterior of the Simpsons house, and the screen might shake a little bit and some birds might fly out of a tree to convey intensity and volume. But it doesn't matter. This doesn't happen.

5. Hitting the dislike button on a YouTube channel does something.

Many people believe clicking the dislike button (that's the thumbs down icon on YouTube) notifies the uploader to change their ways or stop making videos. However, the Southern Thumb does nothing other than inform the universe you are at war with your soul. Log off and get some sun. It's refreshing.

I don't even feel like writing a final sentence.