5 Of The Best Pets For College Students

5 Of The Best Pets For College Students

Low maintenance, yet lovable.

288
5 Of The Best Pets For College Students
UWM Post

While going off to college is an incredible adventure, one of the worst parts is leave your loved ones behind. And by loved ones, I mean the family pet. So, you’re now living on your own, and you’re responsible enough to take care of yourself; therefore, you’re obviously capable of taking care of a pet of your own, too, right? What a perfect time in your life to adopt a new friend to keep you company.

1. A rock

A perfect “training” pet. All you have to do is look at it. No feeding, no maintenance -- all fun and games.

2. A plant

Maybe you’ll want to start out with a cactus -- so you can forget to water it for a few days without killing it. Then you can move up to a regular house plant, while always remembering to water it and give it sunlight. And you’ll look fancy when guests come over and see that you’ve been capable of keeping a plant alive in your dorm room.

3. Fish

Fish are pretty simple to keep up. They don’t take up too much time or space. All you have to do is feed them and clean the bowl once a week or so. The tank can be decorative, exciting, traditional -- whatever you choose. Fish can also keep you company, even though they’re incapable of giving affection and they have a three-second memory.

4. A hermit crab

A small pet that can live almost anywhere, again with little maintenance and a whole lot of love. The only special thing you need to do is get new shells for it to grow into, but it’s worth it. Be a hermit with your hermit crab friend and have a Netflix marathon together.

5. A hamster

They’re cute, they’re affectionate, they’re cuddly. Feed and water and you’re good.The only downside of these furry creators: they are nocturnal. So, no, you and your roommate will not be able to sleep when your hamster is running as fast as he can on his wheel at 2 am. Seriously think about that one.

As much as I would love to have a pet with me at college, I know I’m incapable of taking care of a being other than myself. I will never understand those who have real dogs and cats in college because I can’t imagine how difficult it must be. I guess I’ll just stick to the pet rock.