4 Things Only People Who Don't Wear Their Hearts On Their Sleeves Understand

Feelings? What are those?

867
Google Images

What I mean by that is, the people who don't share their feelings, ever, at all, because it makes them uncomfortable. I am one of those people. I always have been and I most likely always will be. It is probably my biggest flaw and I have accepted it. I'm writing this to help those of you who do wear your heart on your sleeve to understand a few things about us when it comes to feelings. Feelings make us uncomfortable. We aren't good at dealing with our own and we certainly don't want to deal with yours. Well, I like to hear my family's feelings even though I can't really comfort them very well, but for me, that's as far as the feelings go.

1. Crying makes us uncomfortable.

Extremely uncomfortable. Please don't cry in front of me. Unless you're between the ages of newborn and 12, I can't help you. When some one starts crying around me, my body and brain does everything it can to distance itself. I will shut down. I don't like crying. It freaks me out, if we're being honest here. Yes, even when I cry, it freaks me out. Usually, I stop crying within two seconds because I get freaked out or realize that there's no reason to cry and I'm being irrational -- and then I go about my day as normal.

2. There is no confrontation.

If it involves feelings, then please avoid it. Confront me about anything, but your feelings. I don't know how to handle those. I give great advice, but it's going to be blunt and straight up. So, if you're not ready for that, then please don't confront me. But I must say, my advice is pretty great. Oh, and don't expect us to apologize right off the bat. It will most like take three hours of thinking and three hours of practicing an apology in the mirror before we can actually say it -- even if we do mean it. Don't get mad at us because we can't say it right out. It is literally hard to say, "Sorry."

3. We don't do comfort sessions.

I haven't the slightest idea on how to comfort you. I will awkwardly hug you and pat your back... I just don't know what to do. I don't like to say things like, "It's going to be OK," and similar stuff because it's just empty words. They have no meaning. People just say them to make people think they care when they don't. I wont say them unless I mean them and know that it really will be OK in the end. I'm not one for empty words and broken promises, not many of us are. If we do actually show you and tell you our feelings, it's because it's serious and it's been too long and we need you to really, honestly listen. That doesn't happen. We are also probably the best people, as well as the worst, to do a comfort sessions because we just kind of sit there and let you cry and don't really say much. I like to make jokes if it's appropriate (depending on why the person is crying).

4. We have hearts, I promise.

Yes, it is true. We have souls. We have a heart. We just choose to not show it because there seems to be less problems when people think you're heartless. Also, people are more intimidated by it if they think we are heartless and it's kind of empowering.