5 Books To Cozy Up To This Fall Break

5 Books To Cozy Up To This Fall Break

Fall break is relaxing, until it's the third straight day of relaxing and you're suddenly bored out of your mind.

9
5 Books To Cozy Up To This Fall Break
VSCO

Check out these five amazing reads to cuddle up to, hopefully with your dog in your lap and a hot chai tea latte next to you!

1. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling 

If your mom is getting mad at your for laughing too loud at a book while she's trying to watch TV, that's when you know you've gotten your hands on a good one. This book made me cry from laughter, and no, I am not being dramatic. If you thought that Mindy Kaling was funny as Kelly Kapoor in The Office, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into with Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? In this book, Kaling reminisces on her life before The Office and beyond, making readers laugh out loud with each turn of the page. It took me about a day and a half to read, making it the perfect book for a post-midterms destress during fall break.

2. Becoming by Michelle Obama 

This book is a much longer read than the first, but I promise you Becoming is worth all 448 pages. Michelle Obama tells the story of her life, from kindergarten in Chicago until after Barack's presidency, inspiring those who read it along the way. If you want to see just how much of a girl boss Mrs. Obama is, read in-depth anecdotes about Barack and Michelle's love story, or read her true revelations about politics, this is the book for you. A perfect story to read by the fire on that first chilly day in fall.

3. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 

Although this book is for more for young adults, it's not one you should skip. Thomas writes through the perspective of Starr, a young black girl who watches her best friend get shot and killed by a police officer, creating a heartbreaking and poignant story about identity, loss, and standing up for what you believe in. This novel perfectly encapsulates the emotions that follow too many familiar news stories revolving around police brutality, with lovable characters and tearjerking moments. And when you're done with the book, check out the movie too (it'll make you sob harder than the book did)!

4. When's Happy Hour?: Work Hard So You Can Hardly Work by Betches

You probably follow the Betches on Instagram, and maybe you've read their first two books, Nice Is Just a Place in France and I Had a Nice Time and Other Lies...: How to Find Love & Sh*t Like That. When's Happy Hour has the same humor as their Instagram and as their previous books, but with the most useful information about navigating the real world post-college graduation I have ever read. The Betches give you advice on all a post-grad's favorite topics, such as: networking, interviews, finding a career path, even dealing with a crazy boss or annoying coworkers, all without the boring nature of an article you found on LinkedIn. Buy this book, read it in a day like I did, and keep it as you start to think about the *shriek* real world.

5. How Not to Get Shot: And Other Advice from White People by D.L. Hughley and Doug Moe 

This is the kind of book that you flip through in the "Humor" section of your local bookstore but never end up buying. BUY THIS BOOK! Not only is it absolutely hilarious, but it also brings to the surface important and unique insights about the issue of police brutality. "200 years ago, white people told black folks, 'I suggest you pick the cotton if you don't like getting whipped.' Today it's "comply with police orders if you don't want to get shot,'" writes Barnes and Noble in its overview for the book, pointing at the absurdity of white people's view of police brutality. This satirical novel will have you laughing out loud, while simultaneously contemplating how ludicrous the current state of race relations are in our country. Makes you laugh and makes you think. Perfect fall break read.