5 Movies That Are A Must For Your Next Movie Night

With all of us stuck in quarantine and craving to do some soul searching, this short list of movies is guaranteed to leave you wiser than you were before watching.

40
Photo by Myke Simon on Unsplash

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind

Photo Courtesy of Aiko Stehrenberger, FontsInUse.com

If you have been feeling like you are doing so much, yet seeing minimal results and are on the verge of giving up; this is the movie for you. The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, directed by Chiwetel Ejiofor, tells the story of a boy who scavenges material from the landfill in his village to create a windmill that will save his village from a famine. He is dismissed from school after his family can no longer afford his tuition, yet he finds a way to sneak back into the library to learn how exactly he may be able to build a windmill. The way the boy makes the most of what he has and manages to save his village from the famine proves that you do not always need big and extravagant things to make a large impact.

Interstellar

Photo By Laura Robue, Behance

Although incredibly time consuming, this movie is definitely worth it. Interstellar, directed by Christopher Nolan, creates a story about how a former NASA pilot may be the world's only chance at survival. A NASA physicist sends him through a wormhole to explore three different planets and determine which one would support human life. Throughout this movie, we realize that there is so much we do not know about the world yet. It puts into perspective just how small we are compared to the universe we live in. We truly begin to understand the power of the unknown.

How To Be Single

Photo Courtesy of Mike Frezon, HomeTheaterForum

Quarantine has probably taken a toll on our love lives and left all of us confused about who we really are. If you are having a hard time finding enjoyment in your own company, this is the movie for you. How to Be Single, directed by Christian Ditter, allows us to follow Alice on her journey fresh out of college, as she breaks up with her long-term boyfriend and scores a job as a paralegal. Throughout the movie, Alice has multiple breakdowns that have to do with the fact that she is extremely dependent on people. She begins to realize that she had been leaning on her boyfriend so much for the past 4 years, she may have forgotten how to do basic everyday tasks on her own. We see Alice's co-worker Robin try to help her find herself by teaching her the ropes of the single life. By the end of the movie, Alice, and frankly even the viewer, begins to realize she does not need someone else in order to find comfort within herself, and neither do we.

The Greatest Showman

Photo Courtesy of Century 21 Studios

The Greatest Showman, directed by Michael Gracey, is a perfect movie for family night. P.T. Barnum creates the Barnum & Bailey circus where he travels with extremely talented exotic performers and before he knows it, he indeed becomes the greatest showman. However, in becoming the greatest showman, Barnum begins trying to cater to a more sophisticated crowd. In changing his show style, Barnum risks losing a family he built way beyond blood. Barnum teaches us that acceptance means nothing if you are not proud of it. Acceptance comes from loving all you've created regardless of not being able to please everyone.

Green Book

Photo Courtesy of Universal Pictures

Green Book, directed by Peter Farrelly, is a movie based on a true story set during the civil rights movement. A world renowned African American pianist, Dr. Don Shirley, is in need of protection and a driver when he sets forth on a tour in the South. When Tony Lip is recruited for the job, he never expected himself to form a lasting bond with Dr. Shirley. The relationship that forms between these men is a slap in the face to racism. Tony Lip begins to witness the true horrors of an African-American man in an era of segregation. After watching this movie, it becomes incredibly clear how ignorant people are to the daily discrimination that African Americans face. No matter how educated and wealthy Dr. Don Shirley was, it did not matter to anyone. This film exposes viewers to the everyday life of an African American. It is safe to say after watching this movie, you'll have to sit back, stare at the credits, and take in how brilliant this movie is.