5 Michael Jackson Songs That Were Ahead of their Time

These social issues seem to repeat themselves throughout history. and Michael Jackson wasn't afraid to take them head on.

465
TheSource.com

Michael Jackson has been one of my favorite artists since I was a kid. I have every single one of his albums and I know many of his songs by memory. Most of the time music fades into obscurity over time, but Michael is timeless. I remember where I was when he died. It was 2009, and I was in Fort Jackson South Carolina for Army Basic Training. Our Drill Sergeants had us have a moment of silence for MJ-and it seemed like for that minute that Basic Training stopped being Basic Training. Then it was back to the rude awakening that: 1) I was in Boot Camp, and 2) I wouldn't ever get to see him live and in concert. I was listening to him, I was feeling a bit down, and I can always count on MJ to cheer me up, despite the fact that he was gone too soon.

Number 5: "Off the Wall"

This song always puts me in a good mood. Work is hard, school is tough, and balancing a good time in between all your activities as a student can be challenge. Sometimes you have to put that all on upon the shelf. Music is truly an international language. One of the biggest hits of the 80s was Nenas' "99 Luftballoons" this song was in German, and it reached Billboard #1 in 10 different countries, and even inspired an english version which hit number one alongside the German version. Off the Wall, came out in 1979, and was Michael's Debut album without the Jackson 5. So this song is all about letting go of the challenges just for the night. These things hold us back, but it isn't so bad if you can let it go when you need to have a good time. This song was ahead of its time because of the fact that these are problems that will probably always exist, and so in that sense, it's pretty timeless.

"So tonight gotta leave that nine to five upon the shelf
And just enjoy yourself
Groove, let the madness in the music get to you
Life ain't so bad at all
If you live it off the wall
Life ain't so bad at all"

Number 4: "Beat it"

Bullying has been a big issue for a lot of people, myself included, and sometimes it's not worth getting violent over a dispute. During the 80s, fights were a lot more common in schools than they are now. The punishments were less severe, and schools didn't have zero-tolerance rules during that time. This hit from 1983, can be interpreted in a multitude of ways. I didn't grow up in a luxurious neighborhood during my teenage years, and gangs were a real threat. For some, not running from a fight or altercation could have resulted in death. With the modern issues like Treyvon Martin, and the Black Lives Matters movement, this can be especially true.

"You have to show them that you're really not scared
You're playin' with your life, this ain't no truth or dare
They'll kick you, then they beat you,
Then they'll tell you it's fair
So beat it, but you want to be bad"

Number 3: "Earth Song"/"Heal the World"

Environmental issues have always been a big issue and unfortunately, not much has changed as far as fossil fuel usages. Global Warming has become a controversial issue, with some people who think that it is not related to CO2 emissions, and that this is just a natural cycle in our timeline as far as the Earth's lifetime. This song is also about peace on earth. Michael was a big advocate for environmental issues, and global peace. With part of the lyrics here, I can almost hear the cries of the children of Aleppo.

What have we done to the world
Look what we've done
What about all the peace
That you pledge your only son...
What about flowering fields
Is there a time
What about all the dreams
That you said was yours and mine...
Did you ever stop to notice
All the children dead from war
Did you ever stop to notice
The crying Earth the weeping shores"

Number 2 and 1: "Black or White"/"They Don't Care About Us"

Race issues have been around for a very long time. What really resonates is how much has changed, but also how much hasn't. Ever since the killing of Treyvon Martin by the hands of George Zimmerman, this was a huge setback in race relations-arguably the starting point of the Black Lives Matters movement. I won't go into too much else about that issue, but it is all still very relevant. with both these songs by Michael, the racial inequality is addressed, police brutality- and I think these two songs really do go hand in hand. Unfortunately, it's also sad to see how relevant it still is to this day. I am with Michael - and I hope for peace among people.

All I want to say is that
They don't really care about us
Tell me what has become of my life
I have a wife and two children who love me
I am the victim of police brutality, now
I'm tired of bein' the victim of hate
You're rapin' me of my pride/
But, if you're thinkin' about my baby
It don't matter if you're black or white
They print my message in the Saturday Sun
I had to tell them I ain't second to none
And I told about equality and it's true
Either you're wrong or you're right
But, if you're thinkin' about my baby
it don't matter if you're black or white"