5 Local Stories That Captured National Attention In May, 2020
Currently

5 Headlines From May 2020 That Remind You Coronavirus Isn't The Only Bad News Going On Right Now

These stories have been difficult to swallow, generally appalling, and unbelievable.

2635

With coronavirus locking down the majority of Americans to their local communities, we've seen local news turn into more major and national headlines.

1. The death of Ahmaud Arbery

Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old unarmed Black man, was shot by two white men on his run. The story is terrifying and heartbreaking.

The men blocked his path with their truck and emerged with a shotgun. After an altercation, he was shot three times.

"It took more than two months for the men involved to be arrested after two district attorneys recused themselves from the case and did not arrest the perpetrators."

The death sparked an outcry from protesters and groups like Black Lives Matter.

2. The firing University of Kentucky Cheerleading staff

An investigation into program hazing at the University of Kentucky led to a mass staff firing of the cheerleading team.

The resulting firing was met with anger and disgust that coaches would be involved in allowing hazing to happen and encouraging underage alcohol use and inappropriate behavior.

After news broke, cheerleaders involved even went on social media to say their piece.

3. Midland, Michigan underwater

In Midland, Michigan, after heavy downpour of rain, the Edenville Dam failed which led to two other dam breaches and mass flooding in parts of Midland.

While coronavirus is raging on and forcing us into quarantine, a flood that sends us out of our homes to find shelter elsewhere is probably one of the worst things to have happened.

4. The hanging of an effigy of the Kentucky governor

Kentucky protesters symbolically lynched a doll of the governor with the famous phrase 'sic semper tyrannis,' which is associated with John Wilkes Booth after his assassination of President Lincoln.

The protest, though aligning itself with protests about lockdowns and quarantine, were protesting their second amendment rights with the effigy.

According to our creator, "In a video posted online by the Courier Journal's Sarah Ladd, a group of people is seen standing around while a man throws a rope over a tree limb before pulling the effigy up to be hanged"

It is disturbing, to say the least, that this type of protest would lead to a mock lynching.

5. The death of George Floyd

An unarmed black man, George Floyd, died after being detained by a police officer who, with his knee pressing his neck and head into the concrete, would not let up even after he became mute and unresponsive.

The police officers involved were all fired and protests have ensued where the police have used tear gas, rubber bullets, and stun grenades to curtail the protest.

With more protests planned, George Floyd is another black man along with Ahmaud Arbery to be killed unjustly and unarmed.