5 Lessons I Learned from Grey's Anatomy

5 Lessons I Learned from Grey's Anatomy

The real reasons why I spent countless hours obsessing over Seattle Grace Hospital...or Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital...or Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital

27
5 Lessons I Learned from Grey's Anatomy
www.quotesideas.com

About three years ago, I overhead a friend of mine talking to my teacher in my medical terminology class about a T.V. show that was supposedly, the most amazing thing ever created in this universe. Just having recently convinced my parents to get a Netflix account, I was searching for some good T.V. shows to invest the better half of my high school career with. They talked about the beauty of a Dr. McDreamy, the death of a Dr. McSteamy, and a bonding of the twisted sisters. I realized they were talking about a show that I had heard of, but never seemed too interesting to watch- "Grey's Anatomy". I joined in on the conversation and revealed that I had actually never seen the show, and they were appalled to say the least. After an oath that I would definitely watch at least one episode when I got home, the bell rang for the end of class, and I completely forgot my promise. After two months, i was sitting at home, terribly bored until I remembered my promise to watch the show and turned it on; about 6 hours later, I was hooked and never looked back. Now, three years later, i can call myself a proper fan, and irretrievably obsessed with the show. Here are 5 ways how Grey's Anatomy has changed my life.

1) Realizing how sometimes its okay to have a person

To anyone who has watched the show, Meredith and Christina are our goals. To have a friendship as amazing as theirs, is something that we all envy. Through all the pain, loss, joys, momentary death by drowning or physical attacks, we all need that one person to depend on. Honestly, after watching their amazing relationship, I have been fighting less about with my friends, and definitely appreciate them more. It's not only them either, Derek and Mark, Callie and Mark, Izzie and George, Joe and Alex- Grey's doesn't fail to supply us with pairs of amazing friends who make us realize how important our own friends are.

2) Jobs ?

My grandpa is a doctor, and my grandma was a nurse. My dad, uncle, and aunt are all surgeons. Needless to say, growing up to become a doctor was sort of the profession my entire family had planned out for me. However, personally I have always considered following in my footsteps and becoming a doctor. Grey's has definitely shown me that the medical field is where I belong. It depicts not only the glamour of life as a surgeon, but the hardships, losses, and sacrifices (if somewhat exaggerated) of the medical field.

3) Dealing with loss

After George died, I cried for about an hour. when Mark and Lexie died, I cried for about two hours. When Derek Shepherd died, I cried for about four hours, maybe more. In life, we will all face losses (although not as extreme as the characters on the show). People dear to us will leave us, or get sick, or even die, but it is these losses that make us indefinitely stronger. Grey's Anatomy shows us that life is never perfect, it always has its ups and downs. A dear one passing absolutely sucks, but life never stops moving. No one is free from sorrow in their life, but they are strong enough to move on.

4) Never stop moving

While we're are on the topic of dealing with loss, Grey's also shows us how to move on from the absolute worst things in life. Although I absolutely despise some of the deaths of my favorite characters ( which basically consists of all of the characters in the show), these deaths make everyone stronger, so they can move on. The death of Derek, a main character in the show and Meredith's soul mate, tested her in an unimaginable way, but she was still able to live without wasting away in sorrow, Each death or loss, affects all the characters in different ways, and we can all learn how to cope with our sorrows, and still live with hope in our lives.

5) Never give up

From the countless inoperable tumors that were operated on successfully, to the clinical trials with countless failures until a success was achieved, to the endless hours spent in skills labs perfecting whipple stitches after a patient died on the table, to creating skin and stem cells, to 3-D printing hearts, Grey's anatomy tells us how giving up is the worst thing anyone could ever do. There is only looking forward from failure. With the proper amount of sacrifice, determination, and hard work, anyone can achieve anything they want to. Each and every single person on the show is the perfect example of a human being- they have their flaws, but they work tirelessly to reach their goals.

The lessons we could learn from the show are innumerable, but these are the ones that have stuck along with me from Season 1. To all of those who have watched the show, I hope you can all relate with these and share the other lessons you have learned from this show. To those who haven't watched Grey's Anatomy, I hope you have become inspired to start a new journey of crying over the frequent deaths of characters, laughing at the surgery success stories, and binging season after season of Shonda Rhimes's Grey's Anatomy.