5 Incredible Artists You've Been Ignoring

Opening up your musical horizons, or at least trying to.

565
Billboard

Be honest. We have all found ourselves finding that one song or artist that we just fall in love with and listen to every single day. Creating a tunnel vision for that one artist. We have all been there, in fact as you’re reading this you’re thinking about that particular artist. But in this article, I want to get you out of your musical comfort zone. Here are five artists you totally shouldn’t have ignored on the Apple Music 'new music' playlist.

1. Hiatus Kaiyote

Described as Multi-Dimensional, Polyrhythmic Gangster Sh*t. This awesome funky Australian band was first introduced to me at a Chance the Rapper concert where they were his openers. Their music was unlike anything I have ever heard before and I’ve been obsessed with them ever since. The lead singer Nai Palm’s voice can honestly not be compared to anything heard on the radio it's special and it draws you in immediately. If you really love SZA or The Internet then Hiatus Kaiyote will be right up your alley. You can also find a sample of Hiatus Kaiyote’s “Building a Ladder” on Drakes “More Life” album. I highly suggest listening to their “Choose Your Weapon” album on whatever your favorite music streaming app is and expanding your mind to this truly out of this world band.

2. Blackbear

One of my absolute favorite artists at the moment. You might know him for his song “Do Re Mi” that has been blowing up recently, but he is so much more than that. He actually helped write Justin Bieber’s “Boyfriend” and is an impeccable songwriter with lyrics that almost everyone can relate to. He has albums that I can listen to start to finish like “Cybersex” and “Digital Druglord”. Blackbear is without a doubt someone you want to keep your eyes on. If you like G-Eazy or Tove Lo then you will love Blackbear and find yourself knowing every word to every song after a week.

3. Daniel Caesar

Easily the most beautiful voice I have heard in a new artist in a long time. Daniel Caesar’s music is exactly what it sounds like to be in love with someone. His music just makes you feel so good and relaxed while at the same time having flawless songwriting abilities and meaningful lyrics. Songs like “Get You” or “Japanese Denim” make you really feel something while you listen which is extremely refreshing. At the same time being catchy and easily getting stuck in your head, his album “Freudian” is a MUST listen. Like seriously, stop reading this go hit play and come back and finish this read!

4. Kelela

I was first introduced to her on Solange’s album and I was taken back by how beautiful her voice is. Then upon listening to her “Take Me Apart” album I realized she was everything! Her song “LMK” is the definition of a perfect pop song. Not only catchy but it is incredibly relatable. The talks about how she is looking to have fun so he needs to let her know what is going on with them before she just leaves the club. It talks about how he’s been staring her down all night so she wants to know what’s up before she leaves with her girls. Honestly, who can’t relate to that? Don’t waste Kelela’s time let her know!

5. Vulfpeck

Last but certainly not least Vulfpeck has to be one of the most interesting bands I’ve ever come across, and I’m obsessed with them. Soon, you will be too. I first heard them in a coffee shop and ever since then I find myself as well as all my friends listening to them all the time and even playing them in the pregame! This all-American funk band is like no other. Listen to “Back Pocket” once and it will be stuck in your head forever. With such feel-good music it's almost infectious. And this is my guarantee once you start listening to them it will be hard to stop.

I know sometimes we all can sort of become trapped into whatever music or album we really connect with, speaking from personal experience I’ve probably listened to Ariana Grande’s “Dangerous Woman” album an unhealthy amount of times. It’s nice to break out of your own musical shell and see what else is out there in the beautiful world of music and I hope this article helps you do that! Explore away!