Animals That Became Extinct in 2018

7 Incredible Animals We Lost To Extinction In 2018 And How We Can Prevent It From Happening This Year

You need to understand how important these animals are.

28
https://www.flickr.com/photos/warriorwoman531/7663207538

Extinction is not just exclusive to the old days of dinosaur history. We are still seeing consistent numbers of beautiful animal species disappearing off of the face of the earth for the rest of our lives. Climate change, poaching and human selfishness could be the cause of this. It has to be said we are still not looking after our animals the way we should be, or at least not enough of us.

Here is a small list of 5 of the world's creatures that the next generation will never see:

Northern White Rhino

Perhaps the one we've heard the most about, the last male Northern White Rhino died last year at the age of 45.

While he leaves behind two female rhinos it is unlikely, even with the efforts of science, that they will be able to survive and keep their species going. Rhinos are constantly under threat of poaching, and of exploitation for materials. We've seen the pictures and we've read the news. It's still happening. It plays a large part in all of this

Spix's Macaw

If you remember the 2011 cartoon Rio, you'll recognize the Spix's Macaw. The bright, vibrant blue bird has now been declared extinct. Native to Brazil, these stunning parrots can, sadly, no longer be found there anymore. The vibrant bird died out in the wild due to the creation of a dam, being trapped for trade and deforestation, but an estimated 60 to 80 still live in captivity.

The Po'ouli

It saddens me to not only tell you all that The Po'ouli has now become extinct but also to admit that I had never heard of it. The small Hawaiian bird was also known as a black-faced honeycreeper and looked absolutely adorable. Unfortunately, it is now too late to learn of its beauty and far too late to learn of the threat of extinction that followed it.

Alagoas Foliage-Gleaner

Another Brazilian bird, the Alagoas Foliage-Gleaner has not been seen since 2011 and is now considered extinct. Birds like the Foliage Gleaner lose their chance at survival as the human race continues to play its part in the deforestation of their homes. We can only hope that we will get better and that the Alagoas will defy our guesses and return to the world.

Cryptic Treehunter

Much like its previous Brazillian feathered friend, the Cryptic Treehunter, having not been seen in the wildlife for many years has now been declared extinct, adding to yet another growing list of extinct and endangered birds

Eastern Puma

2018 also saw the Eastern Puma being declared extinct in January by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, they were removed from the list of endangered species for the final time. The Eastern Puma are the genetic cousin of mountain lions, which still inhabit much of the Western United States. They amazingly measured up to 8 feet long from head to tail and could weigh as much as 140 pounds (63.5 kg).

Vaquita

Discovered in 1958, the vaquita is the world's rarest marine mammal and could go extinct any day, according to the World Wildlife Foundation. A small porpoise, the vaquita is the smallest cetacean species and calls the northern Gulf of California home. The vaquita's decline in population largely stems from being caught and drowned in illegal gillnet fishing equipment. The vaquita is the only of seven porpoise species that live in warm waters of the eastern Pacific Ocean, sporting dark circles around their eyes and mouth. Less than 30 vaquitas remain in the wild.

We are a great race of people as humans, but we're distracted, naive, often prone to self-aggrandizement. We think because there are so many of us and because we are evolved, we speak, we have jobs, we believe we are above any other species on the earth. And then we watch the newest David Attenborough documentary and cry at the deaths, and nod our heads when he pleads to us that we take climate change, poaching, and deforestation seriously, but how many of us actually listen? If you want to help endangered animals and prevent the list of extinct species getting bigger in 2019 the WWF has plenty of information on what you can do.