5 Healthy Foods to Improve Your Sex Life

You've probably planned the restaurant and atmosphere, but did you think about the menu? Eating these healthy foods can spice up your date night!

124

Healthy foods that boost your libido: Did you know that a number of healthy foods may affect your hormone levels, energy, and even brain chemistry? When planning a romantic dinner, most people think about the location and atmosphere to heighten the mood, but not the actual foods themselves. Here's a list of foods that may actually increase sexual arousal and boost your sex drive.

1. Oysters

OK, you've probably heard that oysters are good for your sex life, but it's true, and you might not know why. The key to oysters' sexual benefits is zinc. This mineral increases testosterone production which regulates libido for both men and women. Also, research suggests that zinc improves sperm count in men, and ovary health in women. I guess it's not surprising that the legendary lover, Casanova, was said to eat oysters daily!

2. Avocados

Yes, avocados are a superfood, and their benefits even extend into the bedroom. Actually, the ancient Aztec name for avocado meant, "testicle," due to their shape and how they hang from the tree. Packed with vitamins and minerals, avocados help boost your energy and libido which are central to a good sex life. They're also a great source of good fats, vitamin B6, CoQ10, and omega-3 fatty acids which boost your mood and can make you frisky.

3. Chocolate

It's no myth that chocolate helps elevate your sex life. Chocolate contains tryptophan which boosts serotonin levels that are linked to increased sexual arousal. Chocolate also contains phenylethylamine, which also helps get us in the mood.

4. Asparagus

Rich in vitamin B6, vitamin E, and folate, this phallic veggie can improve sexual arousal and orgasm. (Yes, it also might make your pee smell funny!)

5. Chile Peppers

Looking to literally spice up your sex life? Chile peppers can help. They contain a chemical called, capsaicin, which coaxes the release of endorphins in your brain, making you feel happier and even sexier. Bonus: Spicy foods can even speed up your metabolism and promote weight loss. Skinnier, and sexier? Um, I'll have the Chiles Rellenos, please. (Extra spicy!)

Ok, so those are some really common foods to add to the menu if you're looking for a boost in the bedroom. Why not work one or more of these popular and healthy foods into your next date night dinner?