5 Reading Materials for Your Beach Trip this Summer

There's something here for everyone.
13

Summer is finally upon us, and with it comes downtime we forgot we ever had. After a tough semester and year, there is finally time to breathe and pick up hobbies you previously had no time for. For me, summer means time to write, crochet, watch That 70's Show for hours on end, and most importantly, READ. Summer also means vacation, and the beach just so happens to be a great place to pick up a book. Here are a few types of books perfect for beach reading.

1. Memoirs

Memoirs are a great beach pick because they are for the most part lighter, easier reads that fit perfectly with a relaxed day on the beach. I know I get through memoirs quicker than other genres, so you can breeze through several on a trip and feel accomplished afterward. My picks for this summer include "Talking as Fast as I Can" by Lauren Graham and Chip and Joanna Gaines' "The Magnolia Story."

2. Harry Potter

There is never a bad time to read "Harry Potter" but this is an especially opportune time. Pick up these childhood classics if you're looking to escape for a few hours amidst the sea and sand.

3. Beachy or Summery Authors

What better place to read works from beach-loving authors than the place they write about? These are especially thrilling because reading about the beach at the beach makes you feel like you're really a part of the story. My current pick for this category is "The Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy.

4. Poetry

Sometimes, several shorter pieces are more feasible and pleasurable than an entire novel. Pick up some poetry: classic, modern, or even children's at the beach if you'd rather read in spurts.

5. Christian works

The Bible itself is always a recommendation of mine. Have some study time at the beach and be appreciative of God and the beauty He made which surrounds you. Works by other Christian authors are also a great pick. "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan, and "Jesus > Religion" by Jefferson Bethke are some of my favorites at the moment.