5 Of The Most Common Fears People Face In Their Lifetime

Everyone is afraid of something.
156

Everyone is afraid of something. Don't be ashamed if you think your fear is irrational, everyone has their secret fear. For some people it's dogs. For others it's dying. Here are 5 common fears that most people face at one point or another in their lifetime.

1. Acrophobia

Fear of heights. Many people all across the world are absolutely terrified of heights - including me. Just the thought of a rooftop lounge or restaurant is enough for some of us to get knots in our stomachs. Forget about elevators that have glass windows. Seeing the safety of ground grow farther and farther away is not a sight our eyes want to see.

2. Aquaphobia

Fear of drowning. Not many people are afraid of water, but I bet all of us are afraid of drowning. At the beach, swimming out to a sandbar can be the scariest thing to those who face aquaphobia. It's not about the water or the waves. It's about falling underneath into the depths of the blue, unable to breath and slowly dying.

3. Agoraphobia

The fear of being trapped in a situation in which escape would be difficult or impossible. Whether it is agoraphobia or claustrophobia, both are extremely common. Claustrophobia is the fear of being in a small place. Imagine being stuck in an elevator that has stopped between two floors. That is just as bad as death for someone who has agoraphobia.

4. Trypanophobia

Fear of needles and injections. Most people overcome this fear with age. My dad always told me that we can only feel the first millimeter of the needle. He thought that would help. But here I am, in college and still hating needles. It doesn't pass for everyone thought, some adults have to be sedated before they can get a shot or an IV.

5. Scelerophobia

Fear of crime. Who isn't afraid of being: robbed, kidnapped or killed? It's not a fear we all think of daily but it is definitely something that we all face. Crime is all over the place. It's on TV, it's on the news, it's in our lives. How could we not be afraid of it? As long as it does not overcome our life, then it is a fear that we can put aside and ignore for the most part.