5 Empowering Movies With Strong Female Leads

If these don't encourage you to feel like a strong and capable female, I don't know what will!

9
Photo by Myke Simon on Unsplash

Sometimes, as a woman, it can feel like life is a constant battle for equality, acknowledgment and appreciation. Heck, sometimes it feels like it takes everything we have to stay just above the water in an effort not to sink straight to the bottom where we are often made to feel like we belong.

As women all over the world continue day in and day out to change this reality, I thought it would be appropriate to direct your attention on some favorite, women lead, movies. Not only do the women in these movies inspire us to become confident and empowered women, these women also display what it means to be strong and take control of our lives.

Each of these films showcases the determining and willpower us women have; from not giving in to societies expectations of us, to expecting and encouraging greatness from other fellow females, these movies will have you feeling prouder than ever to be a woman now and forever.

Fried Green Tomatoes (1992)

This film will make you cherish your best friend even more than you already do. As a woman, battling with her self-esteem, meets a wild card of an old woman, she begins to find strength within again. Evelyn Couch, played by Kathy Bates goes on a journey to the past as the old woman regales her tales of being a stubborn, strong willed young lady who would do anything for her family and friends, especially her best friend Ruth.

Hidden Figures (2016)

The women of Hidden Figures tell a story of true events that unfolded with NASA in the mission to put a man on the moon. These three African American women displayed courage, intelligence and wit as they progressed against all odds. Not only were their efforts imperative to the success of NASA, these three women were equally as impactful in the movements against sexual and racial inequality.

The Devil Wears Prada (2006)

Miranda Priestly is the epitome of a high class business babe! Not only does she carry herself with such poise and elegance, she also maintains a cut throat attitude. Meryl Streep does an excellent job at setting the bar high for her assistant in teaching her valuable lessons of the work place. With the way the work force is for women, I think we can all learn a lesson or two from Mrs. Priestly on how to be taken seriously in all aspects of life...

Mona Lisa Smile (2003)

If you don't see the potential in yourself beyond others expectations of you, this movie with surely light a spark within. As a new professor at an all female college soon realizes she is put there to prepare these girls for marriages rather than to progress the future of gender equality, she does everything in her power to enlighten these young women to an endless array of possibilities for their futures. Possibilities that do not solely revolve around ironing or cooking for their husbands.

The First Wives Club (1996)

Now, I'm in no way saying revenge is the answer. However, I completely stand behind the idea of taking back control of our lives and making it known to the world. In this classic film, it tells a tail of three women reunited under less than ideal circumstances. After having an epiphany that their ex husbands have taken advantage of them in one way or another. With a few bumps along the way, these three women not only get revenge, but find a way to help other women in similar hardships. This film might even inspire you to help other women in a creative way as well...

Of course I could continue a list such as this for plenty more than five films with strong female leads and equally as strong messages. However, the take away from this is not only to check out on of these AMAZING movies. It is also to give everyone a little perspective. It is easy to get in the routine society has molded for us, but it is up to every single one of us to break the mold and go beyond. Dream big and do bigger because you are all capable of accomplishing amazing things. Most importantly, be supportive to one another. As Henry Ford once said, "coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success".