5 Things You Should Know About A Culture Before You Go To A Different Country

Got that travel bug? Here's some things you need to know!

2688
Eirena Ewert

Every time you visit another country for one reason or another, even if it's just in an airport, you come in contact with a culture different from your own. A very specific way to avoid culture shock as much as you can is to know what you are getting yourself into before you go. You will have expectations and they will be met or fall short. That being said...how can you get to know a culture?

1. Know if it's high or low culture

Know if the people communicate directly or indirectly, learn their gender roles, find out how they make decisions, know how vulnerable they can be, learn their view of time, understand if they are collectivists or individualistic.

2. Learn about the religions in the country

What is the dominant religion in the country? What religion is spreading? Are there immigrants bringing another religion into the country? What are the customs of those religion that are good to be aware of?

3. Be aware of geography and interesting bits of what cities look like

For example: In Europe, there are a lot of plazas in the middle of a city. Cars rarely drive through and it's just open space for people to spend time in and enjoy themselves.

Be aware of where you are in the country! Are there other large cities south or north of where you are? Are you near a river? Are you close to the border of another country? Where you are may be influenced by its neighboring country! Is there a beach or some mountains nearby? What is the etiquette at the beach, if you go to it?

4. Know a little bit of the language

Know the basics: hello, how much (does something cost), bathroom/toilet and goodbye. Simple as that!

Even if you struggle with it, the people of the country you are in will be forever grateful that you took the time to learn just a few phrases in their language. They will then make an effort to speak your language with you!

5. Do research on food, facilities, transportation, etc.

The more you travel, the easier it is for you to understand different cultures. In Spain, they have pig legs hanging in grocery stores. Yes, it smells horrible, but the jamón is delicious.

You may not be able to find everything on the internet! Blog posts do help, but the best resource is a high school library.

As someone who is somewhat a world traveler, I understand the need for the comfort of home. BUT while you are in another culture, dive into it with no shame because you never know where you can find that culture ever again.