5 Common Struggles Of A "Young Adult"

5 Common Struggles Of A "Young Adult"

Each day has its own struggles, but here are some common ones many of us are faced with.

1889
5 Common Struggles Of A "Young Adult"
Cassandra Kemmel

What is a "young adult," you may ask? My own definition is from age 18 until either late 20's or early 30's, specifically college students. Though this age gap may act like their world is crashing down every other day, I feel as though this group is a strong one, but here are some problems we are often faced with.

1. Holidays are just awkward.

Congratulations! You do not have to sit at the children's table anymore... that is of course unless the adult table is smaller than normal. Children's conversations are simply nauseating and boring, yet adult conversations can either be a hoot and a half or just as nauseating and boring as the children's. Basically, it's time to pick your poison for this holiday. After spending several family holidays together now as a "young adult," I see why family parties are just big drinking events. Everyone needs a drink or five to deal with each other after all these years. Now, not being legal to drink makes for good people watching time, but standing on the sidelines sipping on a soda does not seem as fun either.

2. Living young, wild, and free... until you get home.

In college, you make your own rules. You are your own parent. You come and go as you please, eat ice cream for breakfast, make late night food runs, and can watch Netflix all day without getting the stink eye from anyone. As soon as a break from classes comes, the world flips. Most parents are lenient now with their "young adults," just asking they check in, but even that feels impossible after not having to for nearly nine months. As soon as a break rolls around, its time to work and make back all the money you spent at school and then save more for the next years spending.

3. Forever broke.

Now, even though you're working your butt off and attempting to save every cent you make, somehow as a "young adult," we always end up broke anyway. I have heard very few "young adults" talk about their surplus of money on hand. Normally a conversation about money is reminiscing on a working life with a constant income back in the good old days. Working at school can distract from school work, but there aren't enough hours on breaks to make enough money as many would like.

4. Wanderlust beyond belief.

For those of you who do not know what wanderlust is, it is the intense desire to travel. Our generation of "young adults" are obsessed with wanting to study abroad, take gap years and go on mission trips to experience other places than home and college. I swear, there is something in the La Crosse water that really makes people want to pack up and go, because even I have wanderlust now. Wanderlust can be painful though as a broke "young adult." You want to pack a bag and leave, but with what money will you do so I may ask? See the problem here? Instead we are forced to live vicariously through pictures from those fortunate enough to travel at our age.

5. Big hopes and aspirations.

Many of us "young adults" are either in college or working currently. For those of us in college, we are going to obviously further our education. By doing so, we are showing we want to benefit the world in our own special ways with our own unique degrees and paths. Every time we see family, we are constantly flooded with questions about school, work, and of course relationships. The older generation is counting on us "young adults" to really change the world and make it better. No pressure or anything. Many of us want to change the world though, and that is fantastic. We have a very smart and motivated generation with a great voice as well. We just have to use it for good.

So many say these are the "best years of our lives" and they seem to be owning up to that so far. Now is such a great time to make new friendships and test out relationships you may not have in high school. Though many "young adults" such as myself are having mental breakdowns about what they are going to do with their lives, I am fairly confident our paths will be found, and we will all find happiness in our own unique ways.