5 Cliches That Are True

5 Cliches That Are True

I know you've heard them all before, but have you ever stopped to think about the truth in cliches?

223
5 Cliches That Are True

How many times have you heard the phrase "the early bird gets the worm" or "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"? Probably more than you can remember. We hear cliche's so often, we forget to even think about the truth they can hold. I mean, how annoying is it to hear your friends telling you that there are "plenty of fish in the sea" when you've been crying over a breakup? But once you really think about it, sometimes these little cliches that go in one of our ears and out the other really do hold astounding truths that we could stand to appreciate.

1. Birds of a feather flock together.

The people you surround yourself with have a huge impact on your life. They influence your daily activities, moods, opinions, etc. It is important to be mindful of who you give access to your life, because it could really make a difference on the days when you don't quite feel like getting out of bed to go study and you really really want that 4.0 this term. Would your friends encourage you to put it off, or would they hop out of bed and come with you? Or maybe you have been trying to get into shape. If all of your friends sit around eating donuts, then will you truly be motivated to stick with your plan? It is important to keep friends around you who will uplift you and not only encourage you to achieve your goals, but who will work hard for their own goals right alongside you.

2. Time heals all wounds.

Alright, this one is a bit more tricky. It is hard to say that time will heal the wounds of a death and a break up alike because that may not be necessarily true. But, perhaps time does heal all wounds, just in different ways. A woman who lost her mother may never stop missing her. But five years down the line it might bring her laughter and happiness to remember her mother bringing birthday breakfasts in bed instead of tears to her eyes. What is important is being patient, and using the time to figure out how to cope and move on instead of dwelling and harvesting pain.

3. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I know a girl who picked her college based on where her boyfriend would be. A year later, they broke up and she wished she had chosen her dream school. It is important to realize that life can point us down many different roads, and sometimes one is not necessarily better than the other. We have to learn to be open to all of the possibilities the world has to offer. Drop your eggs in many baskets, not just one! Put one in an internship across the country, and another in studying abroad. It is easy to miss out on opportunities when we think we can only take one narrow path to achieve our potential because what if that narrow path isn't the way that will work out? And it is OK if it doesn't, because maybe you won't get the job at your dream law firm but what if you do land the one in that super cool city where you will eventually become a partner!

4. Stop and smell the roses.

Do you ever just stop and think about how beautiful and intricate the world is? It is easy to get so entangled in our day to day drama and stresses that we forget how beautiful the world is all around us. One of my best friends, Yasmeen, always reminds me of how big and beautiful the world is when I find myself stressing over the little things. When you stop and take in the beauty all around you and are thankful for what you have, your problems don't seem so bad after all. Besides, we're just a small speck in a vast universe.

5. Sink or swim.

We have all felt at one point or another that our backs have been against the wall. And if you haven't yet, trust me, you will. When the time comes, just remember to keep pushing and doing your best, no matter what is going on around you. You have two options: you give up or you keep fighting. It is your choice whether or not you will let your circumstances get the best of you. You have to make the decision to push through your obstacles, it is all up to you.