5 Cool Cat Breeds You Really Should Know

Do you know these breeds?
185

When talking about dogs, we usually differentiate them specifically by what breed they are or what breeds they're mixed with. When it comes to cats, there's a tendency to just say what color they are. The most common cat breed people know off the top of their head is a tabby or Siamese. If you're cat-savvy, you might also know about calico cats/tortoiseshell cats. Here are 5 more cat breeds to add to your knowledge of cats!

1. Maine Coon

Other than being large and fluffy, Maine Coons are usually identified as being sociable and "dog-like." Their colors can range from dark to light and are friendly, domesticated cats. With that fluffy coat and bushy tail, what's not to love?

2. Russian Blue

Russian Blue's have two coats of hair, plus an outer layer to protect from the cold. Its origins are unsure, but this may be why they are speculated to be from Russia. Their fur is blue, but they have silver tips that give more of a gray color. While they can be shy, they're sweet, domestic cats.

3. Abyssinian

Abyssinian cats are graceful and beautiful, but they also have a love for exploration and heights. They tend to enjoy climbing up into high places. This breed is known for being intelligent and inquisitive.

4. Scottish Fold

First off: Awww! Scottish Folds have the most adorable and squish-able faces. Their namesake comes from one of their most notable features: their folded ears. They love being around people and participating in the fun!

5. Egyptian Mau

A secret favorite breed of my own, the Egyptian Mau is elegant and agile. This breed has been considered as what Greyhounds are in dog breeds. They can be shy if not raised to be familiar with humans, but love to play with those they're comfortable with!