The 5 Best Albums Of Summer 2016

The 5 Best Albums Of Summer 2016

From jazz-fusion to distorted synths, the music released in summer '16 has been a force.

15
The 5 Best Albums Of Summer 2016
Musical Instrument Stock Photos and Images

2016 has been a stellar year in terms of music. Beyoncé blessed us with Lemonade, Kanye gave us The Life of Pablo, Banks recently announced the release date of The Alter, Gorillaz are rumored to have new music out later in the fall and Frank is still M.I.A., much to everyone's disdain. Well-known artists are putting out excellent work, while new artists are making their way into the limelight, transcending beyond expectations. Old and new, popular and unpopular, this list contains the five best albums of summer '16.

(For easily triggered listeners: A few of these songs contain profanity, but there are clean versions available on Spotify and iTunes Radio)

5. Act One

Artist: Marian Hill

Best Tracks: "Take Your Time," "I Want You," "Down," "I Know Why," "‘Bout You," "Talk to Me"

If you’ve ever listened to One Time by Marian Hill, you’re probably aware of two things: her sexy, unique voice, and the interestingly dance-heavy, hand crafted jazz-R&B beats that accompany it. She released an EP titled Sway last year, and it featured the bangers "One Time" and "Got It," which solidified her reputation as an up-and-coming artist in the alt-electronic genre, next to artists such as Years & Years, SZA, and Kelela.

The majority of her songs detail a party scene, what it's like to be the center of attention in the eyes of a lover, and the art of cutting loose and allowing yourself to be taken by art, by music, to just dance. Her album is a ton of fun, and it is a good example of fusion music that should be taking over your summer playlists.

4. Wildflower

Artist: The Avalanches

Best Tracks: "Live a Lifetime Love," "Subways," "Because I'm Me," "Colours," "Frankie Sinatra," "The Wozard of Iz"

Before they released Wildflower, The Avalanches -- a trio of expert Australian DJs -- hadn't released an album since 2000's Since I Left You, a beautiful and weighty electronic album that relied heavily on nostalgia and excellent sampling -- so much sampling, in fact, that a 16-year gap was found between albums, at least 11 being taken to produce and listen to other music to draw inspiration. Each song is meticulously layered and sampled with multiple other songs, soundbites, and fusion instruments.

A lot of funk, R&B, alternative, and Rap are infused in their music, beneath hundreds of layers of sampling and modifying. Much like their first album, Wildflower is an interesting listen, albeit a fun one. They've created an entirely new genre in two albums: Nostalgia Electronica, and they're proud to boast their knowledge of music, media, and their talent. The album begins with "The Leaves Were Falling," a noisy, 15-second intro that sounds like what you would expect walking through the bar at a Hard Rock Hotel. There's coughing, crowd conversations, and a Jimmy Hendrix-esque guitar sampling layer beneath it all. It then transitions seamlessly into Because I'm Me, one of the highlight songs on the album, which features a sample from "Why Can't I Get It Too" by Six Boys in Trouble for the song's first 45 seconds. It's an extremely funky and soulful introduction into a long awaited sophomore album and, upon taking a deeper listen -- Frankie Sinatra sees samples from Bobby Sox Idol, along with taking an instrumental from "My Favorite Things" from "The Sound of Music" near the song's end -- it is obvious that the 16-year gap, over a decade's worth of work and research and listening, paid off tremendously.

3. Freetown Sound

Artist: Blood Orange

Best Tracks: "Best To You (feat. Empress Of)," "Chance," "Augustine," "EVP," "But You," "Hands Up"

'Black is and black ain't

Black is blue, black is red

Black is tan (Black will get ya)

Black is light (And black will leave you alone)

Black can get you over

And black can set you down

Black can let you move forward

And black will make you stumble around (Black is so hot)'

Many artists in recent days have written and performed about blackness in America. Last year, Kendrick released To Pimp A Butterfly, a detailed critique and explanation of just what it was like to be black in America. It was an incredible album - the album of 2015, as a matter of fact. He detailed the violence and expectations of blacks in America, how fame has shaped his view of his own blackness, and how both were extremely important to recognize in terms of musicality. Dev Hynes, better known as Blood Orange, does just this and more in his magnum opus, Freetown Sound. Released at the pinnacle of the BlackLivesMatter movement, the album references police brutality, prejudice, and the struggles of being a minority in America. Hynes reaches out to not only the Black community, but to the LGBT community, feminists, and other minorities in America, creating a personal and inclusive album that reaches not only our hearts, but our ears. The highlight track on the album, "Best To You," which features electronic singer Empress Of, is a beautiful and extremely accessible song for an album that details hardships. It almost represents calm and beauty during a storm of confusion and uncertainty. Her voice is beautiful, the wind instruments and light house beat that are layered beneath the gut-wretchedly sad lyrics (Call it all for nothing/ But I'd rather be nothing to you/ Than be a part of something/ Of something that I didn't do) prove that Blood Orange is not only a force to be reckoned with in terms of his wit and knowledge of the outside world, but of his own music.

2. Indigo

Artist: River Tiber

Best Tracks: "I’m A Stone," "Barcelona," "Acid Test," "No Talk," "Float"

River Tiber is one of the most overlooked artists of the year. His album, Indigo, is one of the most stunningly-produced I've ever heard, and his ability to multitask is stellar. Upon listening to No Talk, it is clear that Tommy Paxton-Beesley has an ear for production, a knack for writing, and a set of pipes that can carry him through any tune. He was recently featured on Kaytranada's 99.9% (on tracks "Bus Ride" and "Vivid Dreams").

He plays significant attention to detail, which is made obvious upon listening to songs such as "Acid Test," "I'm A Stone," and "No Talk," which all take distorted synths and beats, his ridiculous vocal range, scattered drums, and ethereal layerings to make for a unique, yet not always accessible album. It isn't something you'd hear on top 40 stations, but it packs a mean punch and serves as a stellar debut album and segue into the world of alt-electronica. Artists from Toronto are on the rise, and River Tiber is the next best thing.

1. For All We Know

Artist: NAO

Best Tracks: "In the Morning," "Blue Wine," "Girlfriend," "DYWM," "Feels Like (Perfume)"

Neo Jessica Joshua, known as NAO (pronounced Nay-o) is the best new artist of 2016 and, For All We Know, her stellar debut album, proves just this. Last year, she released her EP titled February 15, which featured "Inhale Exhale," "Zillionaire," and "Apple Cherry" -- all incredibly groovy, funky, and filled with soul. She has an incredibly unique, high-pitched voice, and could sing about anything and everything. I’ve had dreams about writing children's books and having her wail them to me while a 90s grunge beat fills the air.

She begins the album with "Feels Like (Velvet)," which is determined to give you the chills in the 30 seconds it goes in and out of your ears. It's unforgettable, and she goes on to blow your mind with 17 other bass-heavy tracks. Her vocal range is ridiculous -- she effortlessly switches from an alto to tenor in "Bad Blood" (on the word Lemonade, as a matter of fact), and she sounds like an ethereal goddess coming to snatch your weave clean off, lace front and all.

The album is personal - she details heartbreak, breaking other people's hearts and not knowing how to stop ("In the Morning"), love, lust, loss, and gains. It's a highly manic album, but the falls are harsh, and you fall with her and for her. NAO has a beautiful voice and a beautiful soul, and her wonky funk is going to make a lasting impression on everyone. Do yourself a favor and check out her incredible album; I know I've had it on repeat for the past week.