5 Bands I Wish Would Get Together Again In 2017

The five band reunions the world of music desperately needs!

41
Wikiwand

1. Genesis

By this Genesis reunion, I mean not a reunion that just has Tony Banks, Phil Collins, and Mike Rutherford. Throw in Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, then you have the classic Genesis lineup everybody has been dying to see reunite. All five individuals are still active in the music industry as Collins recently "un-retired," Gabriel recently finished touring with Sting, Hackett continues to tour as part of his Genesis Revisited shows, Rutherford is still active with Mike and the Mechanics, and Banks writes classical compositions. I have never seen Genesis live and it would be awesome if they got together to perform a few shows in the United States at some point during 2017. I'll even go if the Banks-Collins-Rutherford lineup is what would end up happening.

2. Rush

I have seen two Rush shows in my lifetime, both at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The first show was during the Time Machine Tour in 2010 and the other show during the band's R40 Tour that celebrated its fortieth anniversary in 2015 (it also happened to be the first stop on that tour). The band confirmed that the R40 tour was the group's last large scale tour, but has not ruled out recording future albums or smaller tours. The touring aspect would be hard to make a reality, however, as drummer Neil Peart has stated that he has retired from touring, but not from recording new music. After forty years of playing the drums at a high and ridiculous level as he did, it definitely takes a toll on one's body. I would like Rush to do a few shows in 2017, even if all of the shows were in Toronto. I've never been to Canada (unless geographically challenged or ignorant people include Minnesota as part of Canada) and that would be a good excuse to go visit our friendly neighbors up north.

3. Pink Floyd

The untimely passing of founding members Syd Barrett and Richard Wright would not make this a full fledged Pink Floyd reunion, but having Roger Waters, David Gilmour, and Nick Mason would still be worth it. The last Floyd "reunion" occurred during one of Waters' shows on The Wall Live Tour, in which The Wall was performed in its entirety, at the O2 Arena in London. Waters is going out on tour again beginning in May 2017 and Gilmour as well as Mason are still active in the music industry, but there has been no mentioning of another Pink Floyd reunion. It would be the most unlikely reunion of the five bands mentioned in this list, but there is still a sliver of hope within me that it could happen.

4. Fleetwood Mac

Getting into more straight-laced rock bands, Fleetwood Mac is among my favorites when it comes to pure classic rock. I have seen the group twice in concert: one show in 2013 at the BOK Center in Tulsa and the other show in 2015 at Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City. The second show was the better one for me because Christine McVie was back in the lineup, which meant hits such as "You Make Loving Fun," "Everywhere," "Say You Love Me," and "Over My Head" made appearances in the setlist. Drummer Mick Fleetwood has said a 2017 world tour was very possible, but it would depend on Stevie Nicks' status. Nicks is currently touring with the Pretenders and she has said that her interest in recording new music or touring with Fleetwood Mac is low currently. Hopefully the rest of the group can persuade her to go through one last large scale tour with them and release one more album. All of this occurring, of course, in 2017.

5. The Police

The talented and precise musicianship of Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart Copeland make The Police an enjoyable band to listen to. The Police has not performed together since their reunion tour ended in 2008, but the three members have not retired individually. The group began in 1977, so maybe the group could do something such as a fortieth anniversary tour. However, the group was absolutely certain that after the reunion tour ended, the Police would be no more. It would certainly be a joy to see them play at least a few shows in 2017. Don't think them unkind.