5 Amazing Friends Who Define Girl Power

5 Amazing Friends Who Define Girl Power

A little "thank you" and "I love you" to the amazing friends Iowa State gave me.

152
5 Amazing Friends Who Define Girl Power
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/16/636517270662095165-1417805743_pinky-swear-329329.jpg

I moved to Ames, Iowa in 2015 from Florida, and life gave me some of the coolest people I never thought I'd meet. I've grown so much, and so much of it is because of the souls who came at just the right time to teach me the lessons of love. This one's for you, guys.

Remi

I got insanely lucky to get such a pure soul and amazing friend as a random roommate freshman year. We lost the desks that belonged in our dorm and stole magnets from parties. We did everything together and never had a bad day — even the bad ones were special and worthy of remembering. We slept about three hours every night and cracked up laughing like little kids do at sleepovers. We forgot to turn in assignments because we genuinely lost the concept of time from goofing off as a lifestyle.

Until this day, it is one of my favorite parts of my little life journey. Rems taught me to value sensitivity, and to grow it in myself rather than push it away or see it as a bad trait. To cry when you need to, to let others know what you need without being sorry, and to meet a bad day with a hug. I learned how to be a great friend, not just a good one. To be there for someone 100% perfect and let them be there for me all the same.

Knowing someone so open also gave me the power to bring out the sensitivity in others, to show those around me more love when I see a need for it. I now love the big emotional part of me that was once my "weakness." It's now my strength. She bought me a fish for my birthday, and stole tater tots from the dining center (stashing them in her purse, plate and all) when I was sad.

We also rarely went to class and got drunk at 2 pm occasionally, but that’s okay. Total freshman stuff. I'm lucky enough to have someone to call and visit when I forget who I am for a little while, or just need friendship that feels like a big comfy sweater.

Megan

Megs was another random roommate who turned into a person I know I’ll have in my life for the long run. We meditated drunk and fell asleep on dog pillows and stick and poke tattooed ourselves, giving up halfway through, leaving a single faint "No Bad" in place of what was supposed to be "No Bad Days." First, she taught me that I’m messy. Which I am. Was, I should say — because I’d like to think she also made me value neatness.

Next, she gave me a love of authenticity — in myself and in everyone around me. I learned that saying what I mean and meaning what I say counts for a whole lot of what makes up a person. I got better at finding open and authentic people. I felt comfortable cutting small talk out, because I saw I wasn’t the only one who dreaded it. I learned to make time for what I love. To push other people to find what makes their soul happy.

And I had someone who double-checked if I was okay on shitty days, showed me some of the best blogs I’ve ever read, and let me know that sadness comes and goes but there's always a blue day coming. I also camped for the first time in 28-degree weather, learned to take off boots before getting in a sleeping bag, and that tampons don't work for starting a campfire.

Kennedy

Ken and I worked together for one long-ass shift at a campus Café. This turned into one of the most kickass friendships I’ve had. Kennedy taught me about seeing beneath the surface, and fixing my own assumptions about life, people, and myself. She’s the least judgmental person I know, and the quickest to catch a judgement and turn it into love and perspective.

I learned to cultivate my spirituality and the beauty of meditation. I learned to try a little harder to find the good in people. She also brought value back into curiosity for me. “Be curious, not judgmental" — Walter Whitman said it right. I learned to find the perspective in situations through active searching and not overthinking. She finger-gun dances to EDM and injures herself one time per shift, and gave me what's now my lucky necklace. I also learned a ton of cool murder stories, that Gwyneth Paltrow smokes one cigarette a week (so WHY SHOULDN'T I???), and that we never ever stop growing.

Jackie

Jackie and I met in an elevator freshman year, and I got lucky enough to call her a close friend by the end of my time at Iowa State. She’s loving and will make any two people friends. Jackie taught me the importance of girl power, stepping out of my comfort zone, and valuing the little connections that can turn into friendships. I learned to put myself out there, never let fear make me shy, and always be friendly and open to the world around me.

She's courageous, and will shortly be in Paris living life to the fullest. Her way of embracing what life gives her inspires me. We shamelessly had boy talk without holding back, partied and prayed, and have frat-ratted (oops) with other amazing girls who reminded me how important it is to have friends who boost you up.

Sophie

Sophie is a real-life princess, inside and out. She knows her worth, and brings everyone around her to realize theirs. Sophie taught me to never lower my standards for anyone or any situation, to value knowing who you are and owning it, and have a big faith in a huge God. I had a friend to snap me out of dating a crappy guy by having a princess attitude. Be kind, be loving, be honest, and be yourself.

I look at Disney in a whole new way because of Soph; these movies have a huge bigger meaning about strength and true beauty. She calls her mom as much as I do (constantly, duh) and is allergic to just about everything. We spread girl power at parties and get ready to the Little Mermaid soundtrack. I also perfected the art of a princess wave, and learned to not let the uncommonness of chivalry make me value it any less.